Grip Safety Wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Grip Safety Wire

I have owned the used bike for 2 weeks now and the left grip is already starting to turn and come unglued. I have ordered 2 new grips with grip glue but I have seen and heard of people using "safety wire" at the ends and base of the grip for a tighter hold. Is there any thing special about this wire? What gauge is the best? Do I just get some galvanized wire at Lowes? Is there a special method of installing the safety wire?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 AM
eas
1st Gear Member
Default Safety Wire

Safety wire is a specialty wire that is a stainless steel alloy that has stretch to it. The stretch allows the wire to be twisted under tension. Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has a kit that has the wire and specialty pliers. You can also get the pliers from Harbor Freight. It's worth the investment.

I don't use glue on my grips because the glue always starts setting up before I can get the grip all the way on. Instead, I spray the inside of the grip with brake cleaner and it slides right on. Then I put a wrap of safety wire at both ends and in the middle of the grip. I've never had a problem with grips sliding or coming off. Plus, you can get the grips off at a later time if needed. Carry some safety wire and small vise grips in your tool pack. They'll come in handy some day.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Throttle Grip Safety Wire

Are you supposed to use it on the throttle grip also? Could you just use safety wire with out glue on the throttle grip?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2009, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Aircraft wire pliers. Harborfrieght 9.99 Pro-taper grip glue, or rubber cement, slides right on. Been through every glue out there.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I've sen it on all the race bikes around here, but I've never had my grips move. I've heard it works good to have the wire on it though.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Hairspray. Grip on. Lockwire X3 . They never move, even when they get wet.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by OMalley912
Aircraft wire pliers. Harborfrieght 9.99 Pro-taper grip glue, or rubber cement, slides right on. Been through every glue out there.
Most safety wire pliers I've used are kind of long to be carrying around in the tool case, though there could be shorter models. I have a pair at home, but probably will never carry them.

Safety wire is doable by hand as long as you give an extra twist at the base with some pliers once you're done. Just be careful not to over twist. There is a twist-per-inch rule of thumb that most people go by...it's not at the tip of my tongue right now though.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

westoz...can you send a close-up of the wire installed on the grips? (specifically the ends) ...am curious if they dig into your gloves?...and I would like to see exactly what the finished product looks like...may have to go this route myself. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

No the wire doesn't dig in. The key for me is to take about 12" of wire, double it up on itself and grasp the two loose ends with some vice grips (locked shut.) Then I put the looped end around a fixed point and while pulling, put around 12 twists in the wire. When the wire is twisted it's ready to be installed. Only one wrap is needed as the wire is twisted. I wrap once then use the vice grips on the open ends to twist the wire tight on the grips. The key is to let the wire "roll" over itself as you get it tight. This secures the wire. You can see the wire "rolled" over in the image. Clear as mud eh!

Don't forget the hairspray to install the grips.

Addit: "Made in Australia.." Too funny. LOL

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 02-08-2009 at 11:38 PM.