Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I went with the Zumo 550.Name:  PICT0014.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  61.6 KB

Old 03-26-2009, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I use the Garmin eTrex Vista color version. Works great, waterproof, and small enough to not get in the way.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the Garmin etrex Legend CX. It's a great GPS with all the features you'll need. My biggest complaint is that the display is small and with my aging eyes I struggle to read it with out glasses. The CX uses a micro SD memory card that allows you to upload maps from MapSource software and also store tons of track points. I believe the etrex Vista has an altimeter and electronic compass which could be a plus. (I always carry a compass and maps just in case).

Run time on a set of lithium batteries is easily approaching 15 to 20 hours of continuous on time.

Get a RAM mount handle bar mount with bracket for your specific GPS (source it thru "gpscity.com"). These mounts are great and bullet proof. I use one for my "helmet cam" also.

Once you pick out your GPS you'll want to get some good software to go with it. That's enough for a whole bunch of other threads. I use several free packages plus the "standard" store bought ones depending on what I'm trying to do.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-26-2009, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the Vista has altimeter and compass on it. I love it.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks for all your input guys...This is turning out to be a great thread. Like I said before I am going to research this till my eyes hurt and then do it some more, just want to make sure I spend my money on something that is going to be worth it. Thanks again and keep the reviews coming!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 for the now discontinued Zumo 450. Works great and I love the backtrack feature.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the Etrex by Garmin. Comes with the Mapsource software and usually the detailed topo maps.
Its best to hardwire them into the bike, because they have issues with batteries after a while, dont connect, something gets rattled loose inside them.
Now if they would just get some decent software for the mac. . . . .

Old 03-27-2009, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

If you want little hand held to mount to the bars....get a garmin...bulletproof...magellin is good too but comes in second. Which one is your choice, but being a boater that lives by gps .... I got a couple suggestions.

puter interface .... get it
cards are nice but not necessary for a handheld....puter can download what ya want.

They all got breadcumbs etc....so thats not an issue now days
Ability to Chart Plot over Topo maps...I would consider mandatory

Garmin Zumo is the best avaliable for a bike nowdays...but its big, fancy and a Cadillac w/ a Cadillac price....but damn sweet. Probably be better on my ktm Adv.

I would cry if I smashed a zumo on a spill.....and I would eventually....lil garmin hand held is perfect....unless ya want the Caddy.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

The Zumo is just a street navigator built for a bike.
Waterproof, robust and can be used whilst wearing a glove.
It came with a whole heap of mounting stuff which enabled me to mount one cradle permanently on the bike and have another cradle for use in the car.
Just clip it in and out as required.
It's also a reasonable hand held.
And because It has a nice clear speedo/trip screen, I ditched the stock dials and use only the Zumo.
It it even has a programmable fuel gauge.
So even though it's not cheap, IMO it's worth it.
Name:  PICT0032.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  70.5 KB

Old 03-27-2009, 04:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a regular TOMTOM street GPS, I just ordered a cheap cradle for it from Ebay. I've been wanting to put one on the bike for a while but didn't want to spend the cash on getting another off road style GPS, like an etrex.

Quick Reply: GPS Question