Got some mud on it

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Got some mud on it

I finally got the handguards and skid plate in and got them installed, so I felt a little better about getting it out and trying it out in some rougher stuff. Still has the temporary tag on it. I would lose it later but have no idea when.

Handguards and skid plate:

Near the nulcear plant. Temporary tag is gone by this point.

And here's a little vide taken at the same spot as the above photo. I did one previously of the KLX there too after I did the 331cc and pumper install. In that video I did the same sort of stuff - just some little throttle wheelies, i.e., no clutch or body english, just letting the throttle blip bring up the front wheel. The KLX331 didn't feel too much different in this respect, though the EXC feels like it might be a little easier to loop if you are not careful.

There's an embankment just in the distance and I do a few jumps over it. It's very steep so it tends to just shoot you up into the air as opposed to out, the last one especially. I didn't feel the suspension bottom, though.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...84537368511440

The EXC feels real good off-road. It tracks very well and the suspension is very stiff. I've not yet adjusted the sag settings for messed with the clickers from their stock positions. The seat is a rock, like a 2x4. Can't wait for the new seat. After this ride, I've officially past the required 3 hour break-in and it is now time to change the oil and do the first valve adjustment. After that, the valve check schedule is a lot less frequent. Looking forward to more riding and especially the NE ride in May at the Pine Barrens - I can't wait! I want to get out and ride some new areas.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Got some mud on it

Looks Great Brian nice there to ice up here in MD[:@]

Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 AM

damn that looks fun. you got some air on the last one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 12:40 AM

It looks great...even dirty! <G> Where are you riding? I noticed the same nuke tower in the klx pics. I'm finding out that the local areas that I "used" to ride years agoare pretty much off limits now. Frustrating! I don't care for the "public" areas...I'd love to find some areas within an hour ortwo from Asheville....not MX tracks or general "public" areas...just some place to go ride!
I picked upa usedKLX300 down near Winston Salem yesterday, and noticed ALOT of powerline areas that looked like they's been ridden alot. I wonder how one could find areas like that...where permission form the land owners can be had.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That was Harris Nuclear plant in the background, near Apex. Finding good riding around here is a challenge. That's one of the reasons street legal is a must for me - to get a good full day of riding, I need to connect several areas by public roads.

I would think there's a lot of good places out around Asheville - in the western part of the state. I've been meaning to get over to Uwharrie NF which is a few hours west of me. Even so, I think that'd be 3 or 4 hours east of you. Isn't Pisgah NF over around Asheville? You might also check around the Great Smoky Mountains National Park - probably some good stuff around or nearby there that is legal public lands for riding. That's just west of you and straddles the TN/NC border.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

You weren't kidding about the engine noise! It seems to be louder than the pipe.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Like a bag full of hammers falling down a spiral steel staircase.

It really hums freely when you wind it out, though - sounds like it would rev forever.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:16 AM

Nice bike

Old 03-19-2007, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

hmmmm, sounds just like te aprillia efi!

Old 03-19-2007, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Brian, have ya knocked down the gearing a little yet? I know they are geared high and a little fast....... just curious what sprockets ya are running.

Quick Reply: Got some mud on it