got my HMF installed....with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:44 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member
Default RE: got my HMF installed....with pics

If I return this, Im buying the two brothers slip on.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member

nice job. i would have to agree. they should fix that. then it would be a little better. nice pics. can you show it with the plate on.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I would at least call them up and ask them about it. The amount that is off does seem a little excessive to me. Maybe your pipe is far out of spec and the others are less so, because I don't think others have reported that much interference.

In general, the spacer wouldn't bother me, but adding another inch on that is like a lever, i.e., a force multiplier, and repeated vibration from the engine as well as just going over rough ground might eventually fatigue the subframe hanger bracket. I generally don't get too **** about minor cosmetic stuff, but if that could lead to a structural problem, then I'd start getting concerned.

You shouldn't HAVE to do it, but another solution would be to get the KLX300 MX style rear fendor - it looks the pipe would not cross the lines of that fender so there would be no chance of rubbing. But then you have to deal with somehow re-mounting the tail light, the license plate bracket, etc. And even so, if the pipe is that close to the fender, what about the rear tire - is it going to hit it when the rear shock compresses?

But like I said, maybe just yours is defective and you can send it back. I don't remember Marty or others having a big problem with this. Maybe they did and I'm just not remembering.

Call 'em up. E-mail them the photos. See what they say.

But I'd say give them a chance to make it right. Nobody's perfect and every company makes mistakes. I try to judge them by what the do after that. If they blow you off, then that's bad. If they stand behind the product and make it right, then in my mind, that's OK and good on 'em! That's someone that I can work with.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:45 AM

I had the same problem with my HMF. I used a 1/2" spacer (also had to buy a longer bolt) and now I have about 1/4" gap between the muffler and the fender. With this setup, the buddy peg will move up and down freely. Hey JB1-to avoid buying a shorter spacer, could you grind down the one you already have?

By the way, I called HMF about the problem to see if maybe a spacer was supposed to be included with the muffler, but theynever returned my call. I am really happy with the performance and sound of the new muffler...just a little dissapointed in HMF's customer service.[sm=smiley13.gif]

Old 03-03-2007, 02:51 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Yup, Im worried about the leverage factor too.

I started 3 threads about this on their forum. They quickly closed 2 of them and theres one remaining and this was their reply

I seriously don't understand the problem.
I see your machine is squeeky clean and looks brand spankin new new !!

I personally have installed 15 of them here at the shop and only needed to space out one.

Next time we roll to the local Kawabunga dealer we will have one in in hand to see if something has gone wrong in our cut, bend and or weld fixture.

Looks really SHARP though.
http://www.hmfengineering.com/forums...=8082#post8082

I feel now that customer service isnt their strong point either.

Im uploading some more pics now so I will post those in a few min. They show how it cant bolt up without the spacers and one with the side panels on.

Thanks for the support guys

Old 03-03-2007, 03:30 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Heres the pics showing it during install without the spacer. Notice in the picI have the exhaust header/tailpipe clamp fully loosened during this and as you can see the exhaust hits the fender and the mtg bolt only has about 1 thread holding it on. If I were to tighten that bolt it would just force the exhaust to wedge against the fender even more. And the footpeg still rubs the pipe without the spacer.

You can see it rubbing the fender in this picture and also notice the mtg bolt is barely threaded on...just hand tight.

This pic is for those who requested it with the side panel on. It does have the spacer on in this pic.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Do what makes you happy it's JB1 it's your bike and you are the one riding it. I think it looks really bulky on back, just my thoughts. You will figure it out. That seems like alot of hassle for a product that should fit and you pay good money for.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the headsup. I ordered this pipe today after Staintune said it'd be a special order, their pipe doesn't have a spark arrestor and it's be the first of May perhaps before I saw it.
Now, I liked Staintune's product a lot on my F650GS, but even though they have a reputation as a quality builder, it didn't fit the 650 either. The slip-on end was exactly the same ID/OD as the header pipe! That's really not right! I took it to a muffler shop, they carefully expanded it ( to keep from splitting it) and I finally got it to fit. From there it was all good, but that was a major problem. This issue is a bother, but a spacer 1/2" to 3/4" looks like it will work. As far as what fastener to use, there's bolts and then there's bolts. A stainless Metric capscrew will be a very tough bolt. I wouldn't hesitate to tap out the frame gusset to the next size metric bolt, either.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:44 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

that just looks really big for some reason... I saw the HMF on some other threads and it didn't seem so huge..??

Old 03-03-2007, 07:15 AM

I have mine and it is brushed aluminum. Did you have a choice when you ordered it or is that just the way they sent it? Those side panels look good! I will be installing mine this weekend I will get some spacers ( 1/2"-1")and some stainless bolts to mount it up. Thanks for the pics and info JB1!

Quick Reply: got my HMF installed....with pics