Got Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Got Fuel?

Received and installed my 1.6 gal rear mount tank from Acerbis today.

Bad pic, but there is a y under the pitcock.

Calculating.....worst case 150miles to reserve, best case, 195 @ 65mpg

Old 02-02-2006, 05:19 AM
Default RE: Got Fuel?

...she's too funky for me [sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 02-02-2006, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

That's a nice clean install Tony. I may end up there but I'd hate to give up my Pelican.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:40 AM

Tony,

That's a whole lot better than what I have!

Name:  ExtendedCapacityKLXTank006.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  57.7 KB

I'm going to hold out for the Black Acerbis tank that Todd is working on. You're still working on that, right Todd?

Looked at all the Acerbis products, including the front tank. I might be able to squeeze it in front, but it would not look right. The KLX250S is a great looking little bike, I don't want to disturb the lines of it.

Now, that being said, my current gas supply will let me ride the bike the way I intended to. Style ain't everything!

Looks good. Typical of the work I'm expecting from you!

Old 02-02-2006, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

How much is that bad boy? It looks better than I thought it would. Nice mounting job! Do you know why the top of the tank is made the way it is? I thought it would just be smooth, almost looks like something fits in/on the top.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dazjr

How much is that bad boy? It looks better than I thought it would. Nice mounting job! Do you know why the top of the tank is made the way it is? I thought it would just be smooth, almost looks like something fits in/on the top.
$90, small price to pay for 'piece of mind'. Hopefully Todd's tank project will go perfect and we can count on that. Not sure why the top designed that way. Soon, I plan to make a bag/pouch that will have pockets on three sides to carry stuff and hide the tank from 'the man'. I'm sure that taking this tank over jumps and such won't be a problem.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

small price to pay for 'piece of mind'
Funny you should put it that way. Just got back from a little road trip.

That is the number of gallons of gas the KLX250S holds....officially.

How do I know this. Offically? I now have the little piece of paper to prove it from the gas pump. After a mile long walk from the interstate to the gas pump. This is filling the gas tank up to the little neck at the top. I will now be filling over the little neck at the top.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dazjr

small price to pay for 'piece of mind'
Funny you should put it that way. Just got back from a little road trip.

That is the number of gallons of gas the KLX250S holds....officially.

How do I know this. Offically? I now have the little piece of paper to prove it from the gas pump. After a mile long walk from the interstate to the gas pump. This is filling the gas tank up to the little neck at the top. I will now be filling over the little neck at the top.
I must know...#1 what happened with the reserve? #2 MPG? #3 Did your bike like the walk? [sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 02-02-2006, 10:09 PM

Dazjr,

Please tell me you did not leave the fuel supply valve in the reserve position when you filled the tank back up! I've done it and it's one thing I always remember not to do because of that one time.

I'm sure that everyone else has done that, at least once!

Old 02-03-2006, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Please tell me you did not leave the fuel supply valve in the reserve position when you filled the tank back up!
Naw, I hit reserve. I just thought I had enough gas to make it to the gas station that I ended up walking to. I had 78.4 miles on the odometer when the motor died. On the way up to my destination, I was going as fast as I could go, 70mph (gps) at wide open throttle.
The wind was/is blowing about 20mph, and I fought it all the way up. I figured that on the way back with a tail wind, I would make the gas mileage back up. So after I hit reserve, I started calculating in my head about how much gas I had left. "I can make it, its only about 12-13 miles to the station!" But then I couldn't remember how much gas is left on reserve in the stupid, little, less-than-2-gallon, gas tank.[:@] When it occurred to me that I really should stop and get gas, I was out in the middle of nowhere. The nearest gas station was the one I walked to. Just when I saw the exit and the gas signs high in the air, just as I thought "I am going to make it!", BRRRrrrrrr....went the little motor.[]

I think the bike enjoyed its little stroll down the side of the interstate and it enjoyed tripping me up with the kick stand.[sm=smiley36.gif]I will say this is the bike to walk down the road, it rolls easy and is very light.

Quick Reply: Got Fuel?