Goodbye KLX250SF... Hello Aprilia... :-)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Love the Aprilia. Before any SF owners get their shorts in a wad, understand that this is "my" opinion for "my" preference in a motorcycle. What anyone rides for their preference is great, and I defend that wholeheartedly.

I've never understood the WR250X or the KLX250SF. Motards are primarily pavement bikes. For me, pavement bikes without some decent power are illogical...unless we're talking about fuel sipping commuters...and yes, I realize some use their 250 motards for that too. But when I think motard, I think 650 or bigger, and frankly I think a rather powerful 650 if I'm staying with that small an engine...not a KLR650 or such.

As a true DS bike these 250's make more sense to me because of weight and such when you're doing the dirt part of dual sport. But for pavement, give me something like this Aprilia or even a Versys or such. But hey...this is why so many brands and models of motorcycles exist. There's a massive level of preference out there among those of us who love motorcycles.

I'm of the opposite opinion on this. when i think about what i would like in a motard i think of smallish, light and nimble. A powerful engine is nice but imo it comes second to the light toss-around bike that i imagine a motard should be.

I once rode a KTM motard 640? something or other. I was a nice bike and had great power. rode wheelies like nobodys business. But ultimately, it was just a little to big and heavy. If i'm going to be breaking into the 300+ dry weight class i would rather take my ninja or other sportbike that would absolutely annihilate any motard in the power dept.

But thats just me.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I like it. Where do you live? Is this available in the U.S.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I live in Seattle and you should be able to get one anywhere there is an Aprilia dealer...

To come back to the discussion that was going on, i kind of agree with both of you... And the Aprilia feels and is more heavy but the power that comes out is making the bike as manoeuvrable as the klx. Just before trying the Dorsoduro, i tried a derestricted sxv450. I can tell you that i kind of like the dorsoduro's heavyness when that much power is coming out of it... The sxv felt so powerful and out of control in the traffic or normal commuting situations. The sxv is meant for track and race.... Soooooo much power out of that sxv...

Since i am commuting on this bike, i did not want to change the oil every 3h of riding and valve adjustement every 2kmiles... If i could have 2bikes, i would have kept the klx for commuting and the sxv for ripping the street... But i can only have one bike (wife's decision), i choose a mix of power and commuter... :-)

Ps: i looked bqck qt the paperwork and the bike was 10k out the door... I did not try to negotiate anything... Did not have time and really wanted the bike... :-)

But i like both of your opinion and that is why it was difficult to choose.... But so far, i am please with the decision. The longer i ride it and the lighter it feels! :-)

Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Love the Aprilia. Before any SF owners get their shorts in a wad, understand that this is "my" opinion for "my" preference in a motorcycle. What anyone rides for their preference is great, and I defend that wholeheartedly.

I've never understood the WR250X or the KLX250SF. Motards are primarily pavement bikes. For me, pavement bikes without some decent power are illogical...unless we're talking about fuel sipping commuters...and yes, I realize some use their 250 motards for that too. But when I think motard, I think 650 or bigger, and frankly I think a rather powerful 650 if I'm staying with that small an engine...not a KLR650 or such.

As a true DS bike these 250's make more sense to me because of weight and such when you're doing the dirt part of dual sport. But for pavement, give me something like this Aprilia or even a Versys or such. But hey...this is why so many brands and models of motorcycles exist. There's a massive level of preference out there among those of us who love motorcycles.
Yep, and it's sort of a perspective thing as well. My little D-tracker is a happy camper on really tight mountain roads as well as most roads in Japan. It will do double the speed limit unless you're on a toll road (expressway). Sometimes I think having so much fun must be illegal . 250cc and below are also expempt from road worthiness inspections, so that's an added plus. I'll admit there are times where I'd like some more power on the expressway and on certain hills, but anywhere else is overkill unless you just want the rush from added acceleration.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:41 AM
1st Gear Member

It shows the designer of the original Ducati Monster , Miguel Galuzzi , is on Aprilia´s payroll , that bike is a real looker .
In order :
Enjoy your new ride !
Say bye bye to playing in the dirt .
Be mindfull when it comes to parts , italiens have a tendency to " sting " .

Old 07-01-2011, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Sweet bike, i'm quite jealous. I always eyeball those when I'm at the local dealership. Although they have a previous year of the Shiver 750 on the floor that the price keeps dropping on, if it goes much lower it'll need a new home I think and my 250SF will probably leave in the process.

As for the argument against a 250 motard (note nothing of mine is in a wad), they're nice starter bikes for sure. I never felt intimidated by mine and I can typically see over a good bit SUVs/trucks while out on the road so staying aware of surroundings and seeing what's coming down the road is pretty easy.

Now for the downside of me using the 250SF for a starter bike... everything else feels cramped now. I test road a Triumph Bonnie... got a hip cramp. The Shiver I previously mentioned seems a bit low to me as well. I'm sure I'll get over it (or I'll get something taller like a Dosoduro, Versys, Tiger, etc).

Old 07-01-2011, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by flateric
But i can only have one bike (wife's decision)
Sucks for you! Too bad she wears the pants.. If it was me I'd have just ditched the wife and got a second bike Then again, my wife is awesome and would never tell me what to do/what not to do.

Last edited by CousinLarry; 07-01-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC

It's all about the fun of tossing around a small bore. That's why I have a 550 streetbike with roughly 43 hp. After a ride with my friend on his ZX14 down in Kentucky last year it reinforced my choice. Where he had to tiptoe with the horsepower at his disposal I'm ramming, jamming, and slamming around behind him. I'm playing. I'm going in deep, braking hard, changing lines mid-turn, rolling on the throttle hard, and about anything else you can think of. He's trying to be careful not to use too much throttle, maintaining smooth lines.

Same can be said for the general supermoto set up. Having the ability to be fairly reckless with the throttle makes it kind of fun. I've not ridden any of the 250s so I don't have much authority to speak in that area, but I have ridden a DRz400SM and can tell you it is easily as much fun as my 650 and way lighter. I'd think a good running 250 could be a blast. I'd still have my 550 sitting there too, though.

I have ridden an Aprilia SXV550 supermoto and can tell you it required full attention, with 72 hp and a set of 1 finger front brakes. The rider who owned it swapped me from my lowly KLX650 to his 550. After we rode for a bit and I pulled over, his comment on taking his helmet off, pertaining to the KLX was, "I don't know how you ride that thing so fast." My comment was, "42,000 miles in the saddle and momentum." What he was doing with horsepower I was doing in the corners with skills developed on a lower power bike. I will say he could probably kick my butt on equal bikes, but he ran into the lack of power that I work around. I'm not so sure a 250 couldn't be a lot of fun doing the same thing. I can see holding even more momentum in the corners and just plain hammering it. Kind of like chasing an open classer with a 125. I may not keep up on the straights, but I'm having fun in the corners with a lot less concern for controlling the horsepower.

Last edited by klx678; 07-01-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

The 250SF in stock form is a bit disappointing for spirited riding on twisty mountain roads TNC.

That's what the 351 is for.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Lots of good perspectives and opinions on this big vs. small motard issue. I like torque. It's probably why I'd end up with a Versys or Ninja 650R. I love the powerband and delivery of the parallel twin motor in both those bikes. Mark's reference to a ZX14 is why I'm not high on that much power for pavement. While I want more juice for the pavement than something like our KLX motor can put out, I don't want to feel like I'm trying to control the throttle of a Saturn 5 rocket. Good handling and high torque feels so satisfying to me, and that's where big singles and twins seem to deliver that a bit better...no cruisers, please.

I do understand the high winding fun, good handling, and light weight feel of a small bore bike on pavement, but I'd have to go with the Ninja 250 for that fix if I were headed that way. Like I said...so many bikes, so many different wants and desires, and so little money...LOL!

Quick Reply: Goodbye KLX250SF... Hello Aprilia... :-)