good tire combos

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djchan
Youch. I just put a 270 on the front in order to pass inspection. It does feel really good onroad but I have yet to thrash it offroad. Looks like it would be good on the rocky trails I ride with the smaller ***** - almost like a trials tire. Only time will tell.
Just be careful, and don't forget it's on there. The problem I had is that it would feel fine, even good, and then it would go away when I least expected it. Be especially careful in mud, and wet dirt/grass.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

FWIW, I have about 25,000 miles on Duro Median HF903/904 on a KLX650. My brother did DOT knobbies on his NX650 Honda - lasted 1000 miles. Great off road, but burn fast on road. I have been off road with the Duros, not anything like knobbies, but as good as or better than those you pictured. About $120 a pair, last me about 4000 miles before the rear is too lacking in tread for traction on dirt/gravel, then I swap out both. They have dealt with the mud and clay I've encountered and stick as well as any tire I've run, including the older tread Avon Gripsters (aka Slipsters when on dirt/gravel) which stuck like glue on the road.

Whether you want to try them is up to you. I still run them because they worked so well and at $120 a set I just couldn't beat them with anything else. I took the chance when I was laid off, working part time at the bike shop, and couldn't afford more money. At this point I could put on whatever I want, but stick with what has proven to work and be very affordable to replace when they quit working.

I also did a 12 mile commute to work nearly year around, then a 60 mile one way commute when teaching school. During that time we did lots of playing around on dirt/gravel roads with the occasional decent trail. The tires are less an issue than the sheer weight of the 650 for me. No problems with the tires wen dropping the air a tad.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
...Millville sticky/front ...
Is that a DOT tire?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I like Kenda 270's on my KLR650, I don't like it on the KLX250, for the same reasons ZW said. I prefer Trackmasters on the front.

I run Kenda 270's on the rear of either bike, but, I don't have mud or grass.

The K270's are a bit squirrely at extreme lean angles on the road....the *****/sidewall are just so flexible. But, OFF-road in the dry, aired down, they are almost as good as Trials tires.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
Is that a DOT tire?
Yes. I believe all Kenda MX fronts are DOT.
FWIW, I've run those on my MX bike, the KLX, and now my vintage MX bike. I continue to be impressed by those tires. Since the price has gone up, there may be a better value out there now,

I liked the K270 rear in just about every situation on the KLX. I preferred it to the TM II I'm running now.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

the k270 is a weird bird up front but can work pretty good. The 3.25 is wide and soft sidewall and acts diffent than the 3.00 which is thinner and stiffer sidewall. The key is getting the psi set where each works well. If you flat the 3.25 there no limping along, it's that soft when flatted. The 3.00 is alittle more conventional. I used to run the 3.25 front at low psi with a trials on back on my dirtbike and it worked amazing well in the wet roots and rocks, but for some reason the compound can be kind of slick aired up and leaned over on asphalt.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Guess I'm the only one that likes the K270 for all terrain ride. The only time I've had problems is when it came to mud. It would clog the knobies and turn the tire slick.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm gonna try the K270 rear and K760 tracmaster II front. Got the pair on my Amazon wish list for $118 no tax + free shipping.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I ran TrackMasters on my KLX... like 'em. The front is quite good. The rear tends to like to kick around if it gets loose, like on tiny rocks. It's almost done so I may try a TrackMaster II until the front is done, then replace both with something else. Considering Pirelli XCMH's or maybe even Michelin T63's. Dunno.

Rob

Old 08-27-2012, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default tires tires tires

I have run
kenda 270
mitas stone eaters
dunny 606
MT 21 perrelli
so far favorite is mitas up front (90/90) and 606 rear (tho this MT 21 seems as good or better), prob is both these come in 120 size (abit tall).

Quick Reply: good tire combos