Good riding technique in the soft stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Good riding technique in the soft stuff?

Well, I couldn't resist riding my new KLX-250S so, since it wasn't street legal I took it to a dirt road. Everything went fine for the most part but, I darn near lost it twice near the same spot.

The first time I was turning doing about 25MPH when the front tire skidded to the outside of the turn. I guess the MSF course saved me because I got it vertical again and hit the brakes good before I went over the edge into a ravine. I should note that it was a downhill grade with a firm surface beneath it and loose dirt and marble sized rocks on top which made it slippery.

The second time I was going up the gradein second gear at about 2K RPMs so, I wasn't going real fast or producing toomuch power but, I managed to break the rear tire loose and darn near dumped it again as it kicked to the outside of the turn. I guess I put too much power into it and that's what broke the rear loose.

Are my tires the wrong ones for this type of riding surface? Do I need to let some air out of them? Or, do I just need to do some learning? [sm=smiley24.gif]

The good news is I didn't dump the motorcycle and I didn't scuff or scrap my body so, other them running my blood pressure up a little, neither me nor the motorcycle are worse for the wear. Maybe I'm just a little over confident in my skill level?

Where should I go to read up and learn some good dirt techinque?

Old 09-24-2007, 03:40 AM
Default RE: Good riding technique in the soft stuff?

Sid, why's your bike not legal? Is it brand new.
I'm not a top notch rider myself but I've found these tires (stock) don't help. I rode my bike for the first time today since I had rim locks installed so I took the pressure down to about 12-13psi. Deffinetly helped. Otherwise pratice makes perfect. I'm sure someone on here will have some helpful tips.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I have no tags or registration for the motorcycle at the moment. I need to visit the local DMV and pay the taxes so it's legal on public roads. It is insured though so, a trip to the DMV should fix me up.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:35 AM
1st Gear Member

What pressures are you running Sid?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

stock tires? yea thats part of the problem.... get better tires... also sounds like ya need more seat time....

Old 09-24-2007, 10:25 AM

apart from the tyres..........put some weight on the rear and keep the revs in the power zone - I treat rubble and loose stones the same as sand. Sit back, give it gas, and hang on!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ya know what helps..... practicing donuts.... if you learn how the bike is gonna act while back is sliding you should be ok... and donuts are fun.... especially in sand/loose stuff...

Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Just be forewarned if you do replace your tires. Trakmasters take a bit more convincing to pull of a donut. They'll slip for most of the way around but occasionally you'll end up doing a wheelie while leaned over, still fun and sand is soft to land in.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

........sand is soft to land in.
hahahaha....... you know about that dont ya ? o wait, didnt you land in the bushes in NJ ???? Sorry, you left yourself wide open for that one......

Old 09-24-2007, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

What pressures are you running Sid?
I don't have an air gauge handy at the moment but, the tires are aired up for the street by the dealer. There is no flex in in sidewalls under reasonable loadings so, I'm guessing air pressure is in the 25PSI range. On the street they bite really good but, that loose stuff is trouble looking for a place to smack me.

Quick Reply: Good riding technique in the soft stuff?