Going Tubliss

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Going Tubliss

After many years and miles of riding off road (98% by myself) in islolated areas of TX and AZ, I've never had a flat tire that has left me stranded or up a creek. However, I feel like my luck is about to run out. So while it's too damn hot to ride, I'm giving serious thought to going tubliss. Whereas, I do most of my riding on non-paved roads, there is always the time when I'll be running up on a black top. Sometimes these jaunts are 30 to 45 miles with speeds 60 to 65 mph.

With normal tire pressure should this be a problem?

Old 06-10-2019, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I do it all the time, I've done it for 15 miles... and that would be with low pressure. If your going to slab it quite a ways, airing up may be a good idea. You will need to get some sheet lead to balance the wheels @ 60, especially if your running a 'soft' front end.

I just installed a new bladder that had a hole in it. I would suggest checking them for leaks, before putting it in the tire just to be sure. I've had that tire off about 5 times in the last week. Waiting for a new shipment. I put a patch on one to be a backup.

You will never go back if you ride in the rocks. Where in AZ u ride?

Last edited by durielk; 06-10-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
I do it all the time, I've done it for 15 miles... and that would be with low pressure. If your going to slab it quite a ways, airing up may be a good idea. You will need to get some sheet lead to balance the wheels @ 60, especially if your running a 'soft' front end.

I just installed a new bladder that had a hole in it. I would suggest checking them for leaks, before putting it in the tire just to be sure. I've had that tire off about 5 times in the last week. Waiting for a new shipment. I put a patch on one to be a backup.

You will never go back if you ride in the rocks. Where in AZ u ride?
Was that a brand new bladder that had a hole in it? It blows when you get everthing back together only to find out you have to pull it apart again.

SO many places to ride in AZ and yes, lots of rocks . Since my brother and my son live around the Phoenix area I've ridden most areas in the Tonto NF. Some areas in Tonto I've learned to stay away from due to unregulated target practice and punks driving Side X Sides. Those things are just about everywhere, but the real knuckleheads seem to flock to the Four Peaks area and the lower entrance to Sycamore Creek. I also learned when riding Tonto to avoid the weekends. I head out on Tuesday and return by Friday afternoon. I've also ridden the backside of MT. Lemmon, a lot of areas in Apache-Sitgreaves NF (still had snow on the ground), Harquahala Mountain, Boulders, Box Canyon, the Coke Ovens, and miles and miles of Forest Service Roads.

I spent almost 6 months there in 2018 and about 3 months earlier this year. I'm planning to head back either late October or in March for another 6 to 8 week stay, so I'm starting to get my ducks in a row now. Sounds like you're a fan of the tubliss system. Thanks for the input!

Last edited by BlkDakDave; 06-10-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, yes, my thumbs and wrists bother me a lot in the rocks. Tubliss is a world of difference. I run about 16F & 12R PSI if I'm going to be in a lot of rock where the rocks are square or sharp. If it is just dirt/logs with minimum rock gardens I run about 12F/10R.

I'm up in cottonwood near sedona if your interested you can PM me. I do a lot of riding alone, I'll be in CO in Aug, maybe UT after if it isn't too hot.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool, will keep your invite in mind, it's been a while since I've been up that way. UT is definitely on my bucket list.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Received my tubliss gen 2 system about a week or so ago. Today while the "wifey" is at work (I'm retired) I opened up the box to do an inventory check and review the instructions. After reading the "You Will Need" - I'm wondering, just how important is having a new or previously unmounted tire when installing the tubliss system?
I replaced my rear tire when I was in AZ this past November and the front tire was replaced before I went out there in October. Both tires only have about 300 miles on them, but most of the miles come from rocky terrain, some sand and service roads.

If this is a make or break issue, or if could create more problems that what it's worth, I'll hold off. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

They want u to use a new tire because rim locks put marks in the tires where the bladder seals.
When I went tubliss, I reused my tires with those rimlocks. But I used stan's after I had the tire assembled and 'dry'ed' to seal all those marks.
But it is definitely better / easier /recommended to use new tires if your other tires used rimlocks.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

No rim locks of this set of tires, so it sounds like I should be good to go. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:54 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlkDakDave
No rim locks of this set of tires, so it sounds like I should be good to go. Thanks for the input.
Dave...are you the Dave I met at Big Bend a few years ago on a KLR?

Old 06-26-2019, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Dave...are you the Dave I met at Big Bend a few years ago on a KLR?

Yep, that would be me. However, it was a little more than a few years ago. Almost 10 years as I recall. I still have the KLR, pretty much my daily ride. I bought the KLX in 2010. Gotta say that after meeting you (on your KLX) and Greg (on his KLR) I told myself that I had to get me one of those KLX's. I remember that you were riding Tubliss then and had helped Greg put one in his front tire as Tubliss didn't make on for a 17" rim. The fact that you were riding tubliss and helped Greg kind of planted the Tubliss seed in my mind. BTW - do you still communicate with Greg?

I continued to make my annual trek back to BB up until 3 years ago when my youngest son moved to AZ. Now when I'm driving past Fort Stockton on I-10 I think, if I was going to BB I'd almost be there. Instead I'm only about halfway to AZ. Gotta get back to BB. In fact my oldest son and I were talking about this just the other day.

I haven't been to the Abilene area for a while now since all family ties have moved further East on I-20. However, I do go to Robert Lee about 3 or more times a year as I have 15 acres there and to visit relatives. Most of the time I have my KLX in tow.

Now oh Obi-Wan Kenobi, if I may ask for your input on the tire question. Do you foresee any problems? Being that I'm new to the Tubliss system any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Going Tubliss