Going a size bigger with the rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Going a size bigger with the rear tire

Folks,

I've done a search of this site and found that there are some people here who have went a size up on the rear tire. I have 2200 miles on the stock tire and have been dissapointed in it's performance for awhile now.

Question: If I go with a 110/100 do I have to get a bigger tube as well?

Question 2: I have bought a rim lock but have yet to install it. Those of you who have installed a rim lock, how have you managed to balance the rear tire? Is there a way the dealership can balance a dual sport tire properly?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Old 07-07-2008, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Going a size bigger with the rear tire

I think the 110/100 is the best compromise size tire for the klx...any bigger and the loss of hp does not warrant the gain in traction.

As far as rimlock goes, I'll leave that for some others ..... I used to run one and found it not worth the hassel....I can run with no lock at 16 psi and that's good enough for me.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input FM. Will there be any noticeable difference between the two tire sizes on the street i.e. will I lose any top end at higher speeds? My commute home takes me on the highway and I don't want to make the bike struggle with 65mph speeds any more than it already does.

Mike

Old 07-07-2008, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

On asphalt, I never really noticed a difference between a 120/110/100.even with top ends but common sense would say a lighter tire would be better. ....it only seemed to make a difference in sand...ie the 100 would spin up quicker but was a little squirlly .... the 120 would spin up slower but was solid....the 110 was imbetween and is goot I think.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

You need more horsepower to go faster. The bigger rear tire will make the KLX work harder at higher speeds unless you plan on upgrading a few engine parts. The stock tire is actually the best compermise for top-speed and power. Folks on these forums seem to have gone with a smaller front sproket or larger rear sproket to get more power.

I'm my opion, stick to the stock tire size. I currently run the Kenda K270 4.50x18 (close to stock size, 4.60x18) and the KLX will do up to 75mph but will not go any faster. 65mph is simple, unless terrian or weather is a considerbly factor. The next two stock size are 120/90-18 (street), 100/100-18 (enudro) size tires.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

BTW you seem to have some nole infestation on your avatar...

VS

LOL

Old 07-07-2008, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

BTW you seem to have some nole infestation on your avatar...

VS

LOL
Haaah. My wife and her brothers graduated from Florida State so I'm pretty up on the ugly rivalrybetween them and UF. I'm from Washington D.C. so I can happily stay out of it

Mike

Old 07-07-2008, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah... The 13 tooth sprocket isn't an option for me as I need the MPH for street more than the power off of the line. The stock tire has been a sore spot with me with the bike. Negotiating inclines on tight, rocky or loose wooded trails cripples the bike. The bike has plenty of '***' to get the job done but can't seem to get a foot hold. I've tried some pretty ambitious stuff on the KLX and have been mostly pleased. I just need more traction to get where I want to be with it.

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako

You need more horsepower to go faster. The bigger rear tire will make the KLX work harder at higher speeds unless you plan on upgrading a few engine parts. The stock tire is actually the best compermise for top-speed and power. Folks on these forums seem to have gone with a smaller front sproket or larger rear sproket to get more power.

I'm my opion, stick to the stock tire size. I currently run the Kenda K270 4.50x18 (close to stock size, 4.60x18) and the KLX will do up to 75mph but will not go any faster. 65mph is simple, unless terrian or weather is a considerbly factor. The next two stock size are 120/90-18 (street), 100/100-18 (enudro) size tires.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm running a 120 Dunlop 606 rear right now with stock gearing. It dropped the RPMs at highway speed about 300 RPM so, top gear was even more useless then it was previously. It also was pathetic off idle at the stoplights. However, off road it is really nice once rolling. I should note it is a little squirrely on bad asphalt.

I put on a KLX-300 header and pipe with a Keihin 125 and 40 Pilot jet and got my low end grunt back with the airbox lid off. When I get the replacement needle clip I lost, I will work on the fuel flowand should get a little more midrange and top end. It's worlds better right now so, that last 10% probably won't be a significant change. A $90 KLX-300 exhaust and ~$50 worth of carb parts is a great investment.

Next weekend:
[ol][*]finish the carb mods[*]front fork springs to fix the fork dive[/ol]

Old 07-07-2008, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

While you're at it get a #132 or #138 main jet. The Aus spec KLX comes stock with a #132 main, ran fine when it was choked from new. Did all the mods and fitted the #138 main as Kawasaki Australia advised in their dealer memo. Let that top end sing. Yeaaahh! If you not running the airbox lid you need a bigger main jet.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8760/0DAB29ABA4FC409E8CF23EBC69DE059C.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Going a size bigger with the rear tire