GODZILLA put on my sprocket nut !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default GODZILLA put on my sprocket nut !!

Going to a 13 tooth sprocket sounded SO EASY!! It would be a piece of cake if Godzilla had not been the one to tighten the factory nut.

Flattened the keeper flange. Tryed a 1/2 inch drive ratchet,.hmmmm, that's on there...

then 1/2 drive breaker bar,..holt spit!!..

then the impact wrench,. son of a gun, no luck..

then back to the breaker bar with extra leverage. Lifting the rear end of the bike off the ground while having help holding it down.

STILL WILL NOT BUDGE!! ARGHHHHHHH!! Have use penetrating oil and even a little heat,...NO F*&%(^!#$ LUCK!!

Is there a trick? Is the nut reverse threaded?

I could RIDE TODAY!!!! I'd LOVE to ride today !!! My 1st stage mod stuff has arrived Acerbis ready to mount, carb rejetted, lowering links installed.

Any tips on getting my nut off?? (no wise cracks either :^)

Old 12-13-2008, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Any tips on getting my nut off......Have you checked out the HOTD thread?
Sorry, impossible not to comment.

Some people have no trouble gettin it off and others have a hard time. I think they are coming from the factory in this varying condition. I changed mine and I wouldn't call it hard, but not easy either. I started with a 1/2 breaker bar, no good. Got the impact wrench out and it zipped right off. Make sure you have the folded up parts of the washer bent back down as flat as you can and just double check that the impact wrench is spinning the right way. Good luck

Old 12-13-2008, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I also had the same problem. the threads are not reversed had to use 2foot long breaker and a 3 1/2 foot extension on it. had to tie it to the trailer and someone had to stand on the bike and brake and then finally its off good luck.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Total P.I.T.A. I thought it would be easy to swap back and forth to a 13t for those really deep woods trips but it sucks so bad I'm willing to slip the clutch instead. It's probably easier to replace clutch plates than the sprocket.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

An impact gun works the best. I swap back and forth doesn't take long.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Just don't tighten it up as much when you do put on the new one.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Just don't tighten it up as much when you do put on the new one.
+1 there's something called a torque wrench that they don't seem to use in the factory.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

The flange under the nut bent down pretty easy. After not busting the nut I took a small punch and went all the way around the flange then took a bigger socket and flattened it more.

I was worried about damaging rubber components with a torch so I found a rod that fit snug in the shaft and heated it red hot and let the shaft soak up some heat but no cigar there either.

Originally Posted by tremor38
+1 there's something called a torque wrench that they don't seem to use in the factory.
Those PESKY torque wrenches!!

I think I'll get a beefier impact wrench. My compressor is putting out 150 PSI but my old one just aint doin it.

Maybe this is why some recommended adding a few teeth to the rear sprocket.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I work from the otherside

Lean over the side of the bike with one foot on the rear bike.....Cant remember but maybe hand on front brake as well....Working from the oppisite side with the kickstand down alows you to lay on the bike....And the sprocket nut comes right off....Piece of cake..

Rocco

Old 12-14-2008, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I couldn't do it I took mine to the dealer, tried rattle gun, breaker bar had no luck.

Quick Reply: GODZILLA put on my sprocket nut !!