Get together for FL ride (Croom, Hardrock, or Ocala NF)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Default Get together for FL ride (Croom, Hardrock, or Ocala NF)...

Ladies and Gents in our FL-ish area,

Let's set a date and get together for a Croom or Hardrock park or Ocala NF ride in the next month or so, yes?!

Croom: http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide...room_motor.htm
Hardrock: http://www.hardrockmx.com/
Ocala NF: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/

I'm up for Sep 23/24 or Oct 7/8.

I'm a noob offroad...and took the KLX to Croom last Sunday and beat the crap out of that new little engine (um, I think its broken in now [:-]), following an MX racer friend having a great time. Bouncing through the trees, sliding through the grease clay mud (I didn't think there was any of that in FL!) after it rained...exhausting good time. Man, I was sore all over for 2 days after that!

KLX did great, is still completely stock, didn't even break off a turn signal (I think I didn't ride hard enough then?!).

The great part for me: I rode up from Tampa comfortably on the highway, entered the park and took off mirrors and street riding overlay clothes to reveal my offroad gear (donated by a friend, thanks Mike!), swapped helmets (had the offroad helmet strapped to the back of the KLX on the way up), took some air out of the tires, rode the hell out of her in the pits and single trails until exhausted, added my street clothes back on, left the park, stopped at a gas station to pump the tires back up, hit the highway home. [&:]

Anyway, ready to go again. Let's get together, and include my MX racing buddy so he can roll his eyes even more as we all try to catch him on the trails. Sully, Marty, TheLord, others...ping here. I'm up for anywhere -- never ridden the Hardrock or the forest, one of us might want to be a GPS master if we do that.

Peace,

Charles

Old 09-08-2006, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Croom ride in FL (or Ocala NF)...

ORIGINAL: charleshmosesii

The great part for me: I rode up from Tampa comfortably on the highway, entered the park and took off mirrors and street riding overlay clothes to reveal my offroad gear (donated by a friend, thanks Mike!), swapped helmets (had the offroad helmet strapped to the back of the KLX on the way up), took some air out of the tires, rode the hell out of her in the pits and single trails until exhausted, added my street clothes back on, left the park, stopped at a gas station to pump the tires back up, hit the highway home. [&:]

Peace,

Charles
Wait let me get this straight, You rode the kawi up I-275 from tampa to Croom. [:-]

You had no issues with the traffic or keeping up on the highway. I've been to Croom once on my dr250 and was real disappointed in it. I'm sure I didnt see it all. Now Ocala might be nice. I'm sure you can ride Ocala without a gps as long as you stay to the trails and have a map. Also there's that Ocala hard rock MX park that should be right in that area. Ive posted links before and will send it to you if you want. Good job Charles...

LV

Old 09-08-2006, 01:29 AM

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

ORIGINAL: charleshmosesii

Peace,

Charles
Wait let me get this straight, You rode the kawi up I-275 from tampa to Croom. [:-]

You had no issues with the traffic or keeping up on the highway. I've been to Croom once on my dr250 and was real disappointed in it. I'm sure I didnt see it all. Now Ocala might be nice. I'm sure you can ride Ocala without a gps as long as you stay to the trails and have a map. Also there's that Ocala hard rock MX park that should be right in that area. Ive posted links before and will send it to you if you want. Good job Charles...

LV
Yes, MyLord, I rode up the highway to Croom, and it was pretty comfy, I was fine cruising at 75mph behind my buddy who had his MX race bike on a hitchrack on the back of his SUV. No problemo, dude. The only comment I have about it is the airwash from being behind a semi -- it was of course worse than my other bikes due to the lighter weight, but certainly manageable and not an impediment to highway riding.

Yep, I have the Hardrock MX park info...maybe a better option than Croom actually, good point. Okay, that's 3 potential venues (hell, I don't really care where!). R U in, Lordy? What date(s)?

Old 09-08-2006, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

How many miles you got on your bike now and have you done any mods yet. I'm just turning 300 miles yet and no mods yet but there coming pretty soon. Hadn't really planned on going any place with it untill I get a few more miles on her and hopefully the mods done. I dont know what you saw at croom but I rode on nothing but woopee doos, rutted trails and washboard roads all day. didnt care for it at all. That place is tore up by quads. Was it crowded when you were there.

I think Ocala would be the best followed by hard rock. And Ocala's only a few more miles north of croom if I remember right. I think you can even get to Ocala by going up 301 which would be a much better ride then I-275. Honestly, I just dont picture driving my little Klx up I-275. I'd probably take my truck. I was also planning on taking a day off and going during the week when I go. Less people, more trails and empty space you know. Dont think I will make it this trip but ya we will get together in the near future.

LV

Old 09-08-2006, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

FM may be up for a trip...... I got a mapping GPS covered if necessary... just don't call me slow poke. LOL

Old 09-08-2006, 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

How many miles you got on your bike now and have you done any mods yet. I'm just turning 300 miles yet and no mods yet but there coming pretty soon. Hadn't really planned on going any place with it untill I get a few more miles on her and hopefully the mods done. I dont know what you saw at croom but I rode on nothing but woopee doos, rutted trails and washboard roads all day. didnt care for it at all. That place is tore up by quads. Was it crowded when you were there.

I think Ocala would be the best followed by hard rock. And Ocala's only a few more miles north of croom if I remember right. I think you can even get to Ocala by going up 301 which would be a much better ride then I-275. Honestly, I just dont picture driving my little Klx up I-275. I'd probably take my truck. I was also planning on taking a day off and going during the week when I go. Less people, more trails and empty space you know. Dont think I will make it this trip but ya we will get together in the near future.

LV
4xx miles, NO MODS AT ALL YET. Its fine stock unless you are super picky, mx'er, etc. Yes, I'll like it better w/mods, but its fine now too. Croom was fun, yes, lots of whoops, crazy cross-trails though I can see collisions possible and hear they happen. Fairly crowded on a holiday weekend, but not once was I "held up by traffic" -- depends on where you go there I think (we went to very back). I'm in for Ocala. I rode up I-75 no problem and would do it again, personal preference I guess, don't really care how we get there, 301 sounds good too (back roads are better for riding no matter what anyway!).

PICK A DATE, PEOPLES! Sully, Marty where R U?

Old 09-08-2006, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

PICK A DATE, PEOPLES! Sully, Marty where R U?
Sorry, I've been behind reading this forum.

Anyway, I would love to go back to Hardrock. I went there In Feb right after I bought the KLX. I'm not into the mx stuff (I'd get run over), but they have other courses. The one thing that I hate about FLorida is the lack of hills. I love hill climbing. And believe it or not the "Rollercoaster" trail has hills that really scared the s**t out of me. You have to see it to believe it. They also have a hare scramble course, tight single track stuff. You can camp there for $10 night and $25 to ride all day. It's also close to the OCF and Marty knows those trails.

If you guys are coming from the west coast there are plenty of great backroads to get you there.

Charles, I'll be in Tampa OCT 14th for the "Coast to Coast" ride. There's 130 bikes signed up and benefits Leukemia Foundation. If you're intersted go here.

The only bad weekends for me would be in middle to late OCT. Pick a date and I'll go.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

BTW, I've got some guys getting together tomorrow 9 am for a ride. We're going to explore some fire trails. There was a plane crash last moth in the woods about 30 miles west of me, and we're going to go find it. Or try to find it. Any of you FL peeps are welcome to join. There's four of us going so far.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:29 PM

Ok, so we've got me, Sully, Mullet, Lordy interested so far. Looks like Ocala NF or Hardrock. My guess is that everyone would prefer Ocala NF simply because we aren't MXers, and it could be more of an adventure? Marty, you know the forest, waiting to hear from you now...

(Can't make your tomorrow ride, Sully...wish I could, wish you were closer!)

Old 09-12-2006, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member

BTT

I vote for Hardrock, I've been wanting to hit that place, any date is good for me......but I'd prefer a not so busy day if possible, I got lots of vacation days saved just need a little notice and a couple days to recover. LOL Any other FL KLXers up for this?

BTW If the majority prefers Ocala NF I'm cool with that too......closer to my down south pad.

Quick Reply: Get together for FL ride (Croom, Hardrock, or Ocala NF)...