Gear Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NEWPARTSRULE
That shifter is only 1/2 way onto the shaft. Doesn't look like a very good fit to me. But, I'm glad it works for you.
NPR, now work with me here, the shift shaft spline to outer end of shaft is right at
15mm[about 1 mm of the shaft has a little taper where there in no spline] and the Banshee shifter is 18mm so what we have here is about 3mm of a overhang.
From the start of the spline[in board] to the middle of the 8mm bolt that pinches the shifter to the shifter sits smack-dab in the notch/groove for said bolt. It has never came loose yet. I guess I could put it my mill and take the 3mm off but I just think I will leave it for now. And yes it does work for me.

Thanks for looking.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Smile

Sorry if I came across as a know it all. It just looked rather odd with that 'overhang'.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member

No Prob, bringing things ups a good thing, I would like to know if something was falling off or broken.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I just put one of the forged XR650L levers on my KLX this weekend and LOVE it. Only been on the street but wow.. my left foot is happy now. But then I noticed several comments about these forged XR shifters and broken shift shafts and I can haz sad now.

Are there any good steel XR650L shifters that are bendy enough for our apparently brittle shift shafts?

Old 02-13-2018, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I found a stock XR650L shifter on fleabay... it has some give, unlike the MSR shifter I tried before it.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I’ll throw my experience using an MSR XR650 lever. I’ve gone through two of them now, as they’ve both bent in a crash. I’ve seen the comments about them not bending and that got me wondering. Both times they have bent right where I drilled a hole to put my brake snake. (Right at the bend at the end, towards the end of your foot) Apparently weakening the metal in that spot is enough to make it bend? Just pondering here, but you could drill other spots in the lever as well. But seems just that one spot is enough.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
Both times they have bent right where I drilled a hole to put my brake snake. (Right at the bend at the end, towards the end of your foot)
Do you have a pic handy so we can see along with your text?

Old 02-16-2018, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

This lever is currently bent but still useable. Not saying drilling will prevent other damage but a possible solution.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Since I've already wasted $ on the AL shifter it won't hurt to modify it a little. I may add a couple smaller holes where it snakes out around the case. Would rather brake the shift lever in a crash than the shaft.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Not a bad idea on the drill hole. I have the MSR on my bike, I still use it. I haven't broken the shift shaft but it did snap the weld on the shaft securing the pawl to the shaft. Don't know if the shifter was completely responsible(I had a pretty big role) but it wouldn't hurt to add the hole.

Quick Reply: Gear Shifter