Fuel Range

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think our bikes have a warning light. In the owners manual it describes one but I have never seen it come on, and I have hit reserve a few times. I think it must be for the FI models.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

That's why I carry extra gas when I'm going into the unknown. I may never need it but it's there.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xplosivo1
WTF, how did you get a warning light?!
On our 09' ive heard has a warning message that pops up where the trip meter is. Ive never seen it but ill be looking out for it this year. Pretty stupid cause its not a very good spot to catch your attention. I have no Idea as to what my bike is getting I'm still breaking in the BB331. Its eating gas like crazy right now though. I put like 25 miles on it riding around town and i think atleast a quarter tank if not more is gone. I'm thinking its around 40 to 50 miles /gal right now. And I haven't put my mikuni pumper carb on yet.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You got studded tires on that thing? Wow!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

armycopter: If you let the bike warm up THAT long for that many times, I'd definately say that was what impacted your mpg. Even when its chilly down here in the boot, I never let it idle more than 5 minutes before I take off. 15 minutes of idling x 6 times = an hour and a half of running the motor while not racking up miles. That'll kill mpg every time.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks cliffsta, that's what I'm thinking too. This next tank I'm going to stop warming it up for so long and see what I get. I will say that I'm a little guilty of getting on the throttle a little bit too. Not a whole bunch because I'm still in the break-in period, but I like getting in the powerband.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
That's why I carry extra gas when I'm going into the unknown. I may never need it but it's there.

Plus, Bigfoot lives out your way which makes it even more imparaitve not to get stuck

Armycopter, try cutting down on the duration and frequency of the warmups if you can and see if that helps. If not, then something is wrong.

Mike

Last edited by KDXmike; 04-17-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

The enrichener circuit on your carb is like 15-20 times richer than the idle circuit. It's NOT a choke. Shut that thing off as soon as it will idle without it. Fuel range is everything to an off-road or adventure traveler so carry fuel since it's a bitch to push your bike. Before I put the Acerbis tank on my 07 I used a 1-1/2 gal plastic can on the rack or at least a couple of liters in backpacking cylinders. I get 60 + on the road but offroad it could only be 25 mpg in tough situations.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

When I got the KLX, I was doing a lot of on road commuting, and could get 80-90 miles before hitting reserve.
After the re-jet and muffler, my first ride I hit reserve at 60.
Last tank got me to 52 miles when it started sputtering. This is NOT commuting, but 1st & 2nd gear WOFT as often as possible, cause its sweet ripping now.
I hope once I start commuting again it will be 70 miles on 1.5 gals.
I am eying that 2.7 gallon tank, but at $200, its pricey.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Kirkland Jeff true it is an enrichener circuit. I still call it the "choke", technically however you are absolutely correct. What ever you call it if it's left on in normal operation there goes your gas mileage. I think Cliffsta is on to the actual problem. I was just throwing out possible causes for poor mileage. My post was before he mentioned the 6/ 15 minute warm ups.

Quick Reply: Fuel Range