Fuel Leak Answer From Clarke Mfg

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Fuel Leak Answer From Clarke Mfg

I sent an email to Clarke Mfg about 10 days agoregardingfuel seeps/leaks around the fittings on 250S tank. Their response as at the bottom in blue. I believe I'mconfident enoughto commit the $$ now. I think I'll order directly from Clark though because Just Gas Tanks might still have some of the problematic ones on their shelves.

My email:

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing the KLX250s gas tank in black.One of the forums I visit frequently has at least 2 members who have reported a problem with fuel seeping around the fittings at the bottom of thetank. One member had to return histwice before getting one that didn’t leak.

Here’s what I’m worried about, I live over seas at a Military APO, so it takes awhile for products to arrive once I order them. I would hate to roll this bike out in the Spring and fill it with gas only to find-out it has the same problem.

The one guy, who finally got a non-leaking black tank after two tries, said that the 3rd tank had ‘discolored’ fittings…as if they had been heated-up. I don’t care how you guys do it. I just want a tank that doesn’t leak. If you can provide me some sort of assurance that you will take the appropriate measures with mine, I will order the tank.

Let me know.

Thanks

"Dean[/align][/align]We have modified our tooling and inserts and you should have no problems[/align][/align]Thanks[/align]Chris[/align]Clarke Mfg co."[/align]

Old 11-27-2007, 08:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Fuel Leak Answer From Clarke Mfg

Hey Tremor,

At least you have it in writing...
I'd give it a go and if you do have problems you have this to fall back on

Cheers
Chris.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I'll definitely take the plunge now that I know they were accountable enough to pretty much admit to the problem and pro-active enough to fix the process.

ORIGINAL: chris72a

Hey Tremor,

At least you have it in writing...
I'd give it a go and if you do have problems you have this to fall back on

Cheers
Chris.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Now I wonder if they will ship to AUS.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, Dean.
I got one of the first black tanks from Clarke. I noticed a small, black glob of gelled fuel the other day. I contacted them for replacement. They sent one immediately. I paid for it, rather than waiting for them to get my returned unit, but they are refunding my money in full, including shipping. We all know that we got the first run of these tanks after pushing them to fabricate units for us ASAP. I'm not too bothered by having to try again, but of course your situation is a bit different being so far away. Clearly you were wise to wait. Like you, I wouldn't feel too concerned about the second generation tanks. I'll get my bike back together in a few days and see how it works.

BTW. Got your PM. Thanks. I have a spare set of Web Cams without the ACR, that's why I was asking how yours started without it. The WER stabilizer works great too, so far. I flatted off road on my first test run, but on the road, it was amazing.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 11-27-2007, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

are thoes tanks plastic or metal? how well do they fit, any modification to get them in?

Old 11-28-2007, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chris72a

Now I wonder if they will ship to AUS.
Yes they do

Old 11-28-2007, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shadetree

Hey, Dean.
I got one of the first black tanks from Clarke. I noticed a small, black glob of gelled fuel the other day. I contacted them for replacement. They sent one immediately. I paid for it, rather than waiting for them to get my returned unit, but they are refunding my money in full, including shipping. We all know that we got the first run of these tanks after pushing them to fabricate units for us ASAP. I'm not too bothered by having to try again, but of course your situation is a bit different being so far away. Clearly you were wise to wait. Like you, I wouldn't feel too concerned about the second generation tanks. I'll get my bike back together in a few days and see how it works.

BTW. Got your PM. Thanks. I have a spare set of Web Cams without the ACR, that's why I was asking how yours started without it. The WER stabilizer works great too, so far. I flatted off road on my first test run, but on the road, it was amazing.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
The grind numbers are very important in that regard. Specifically when the intakes close and when the exhaust valves open. There has to be sufficient overlap or your starter will noticably labor. I can give you my grind numbers if you want them.