front sprocket removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

i used an 18" powerbar and managed it myself. The technique is to give the bar a quick sharp snap and not to use even force. Just take up the tension on the bar then a quick hard push down will have it off easily. Power tools aren't for me BTW.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

No power tools? Blah! Work smarter not harder buddy!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I love power tools. Spent 10 years pulling on 2 foot long wrenches before we got air guns. Love em, Love em, Love em.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I only tighten the counter shaft nut with a socket and ratchet by hand. Then I bend over the washer on two surfaces of the nut. This prevents the nut from backing off, but also from tightening up to the point of it being a pain to get off again. There is no need to over tighten it. Mine as a beotch to get off the first time but now it comes off with just a ratchet.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I love antiseize for its anti galling/lubricating features. But be careful on the torquing since there will be less resistance and you can stretch the cheap kawi bolts if used . So careful on not over tightening the CS nut.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

spray a couple nights with some good penetraing oil, pb blaster, kroil, etc., use a cheater bar or strike the handle with a dead blow hammer. had some stubborn one where I had the bike in gear, sitting on the bike with the front wheel against a wall, foot mashing on brake pedal, left hand pulling up on cheater bar. +1 about using some sort of antiseize, on the shaft spline too.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

another way I saw posted on the forum to lock the rear tire is
deflate the rear tire and wedge in a piece of wood between tire & swingarm, Reinflate the tire and that will either hold it or at least greatly help holding it in place.
Cheers Jim

Old 12-29-2009, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

That sounds like a great idea...just make sure you remove the plastic splashguard thingy or it get ripped off. Definately sounds like it would work for sure.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

You can also run a strap thru your rear wheel and around the swingarm, tighten it down, and step on rear brake lever while bending over bike with your trusty breaker bar. double make sure your washer is totally flat!

Old 04-05-2015, 03:39 AM

half day project for an at home harbor freight mechanic not wanting to drive to the store... 150lb psi impact wrench - nothing! 3 ft pry bar - nothing! 2x4 in wheel, standing on rear brake, 3ft pry bar - nothing. 3ft pry bar, 2x4 in wheel, standing on rear brake, front tire against wall - nothing!!! abort mission re-think. PB blaster (2hr wait), 3ft pry bar, socket and screw driver in rear sprocket held against swing arm... BOOM! got it! and FYI I dead lift over 500lb's so this bolt aint no joke! good luck

Quick Reply: front sprocket removal