Front sprocket noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Front sprocket noise

Hey all, I changed out the front to a 13 tooth a couple of months ago, and love the power difference. Yesterday a friend of mine that has a couple of boys that race motocross told me that the chain was a little loose, so I tightened it up 2 notches on the adjusters and now when I pull the clutch and coast I can really hear the noise, is the chain too tight, or is that just what everyone was talking about when they first did the mod? What do you guys think? And finally and I promise this will be the last time I ask, but is there a 13 tooth with the rubber dampener and silencer built in, I am actually thinking about changing back to the 14 stock, but I don't want to loose the power I have gained thus far. Any ideas?

Old 05-05-2006, 10:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Front sprocket noise

ORIGINAL: deej

Hey all, I changed out the front to a 13 tooth a couple of months ago, and love the power difference. Yesterday a friend of mine that has a couple of boys that race motocross told me that the chain was a little loose, so I tightened it up 2 notches on the adjusters and now when I pull the clutch and coast I can really hear the noise, is the chain too tight, or is that just what everyone was talking about when they first did the mod? What do you guys think? And finally and I promise this will be the last time I ask, but is there a 13 tooth with the rubber dampener and silencer built in, I am actually thinking about changing back to the 14 stock, but I don't want to loose the power I have gained thus far. Any ideas?
You'll get used to the noise.

OR

you can get at 45 tooth rear sprocket and longer chain and put the 14t back on the front.

If you find a rubber damped 13t, you'll be a hero. I'm betting there is one out there, we just haven't found it yet.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej, I went back to the 14. I figure when my chain and sprockets wear out, I'll get a different setup 14/45.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

is a 14-45 the same as a 13-42? if so then I will order a rear sprocket right now. My dealer said when I bought the bike back in November that he could get back sprockets all day for this bike. And finally can I keep the plastic chain guard with a 45 rear sprocket? Thanks guys. Hey what about this sprocket?......Too big? LOL

deej

Old 05-05-2006, 06:34 PM

deej,

You might want to order another chain while you're at it. The stock one WILL NOT FIT.

Another, more simpler and economical fix is to wear earplugs.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

When I went to the 13t sprocket I didn't notice any noise deference.Maybe its the brand of sprocket you bought. just a thought, I bought the AFAM sprocket and if there is more noise I didn't notice. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-06-2006, 09:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Update, I saw the same guy today, and he said I had the chain too tight, and you know I dropped it one notch and it was good.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh and today after work (well leaving 2 hours early because it was too nice to work) I headed out to a friends house that has a son who is 18 and a really good rider, and we hit some trails and a particular logging road that ends up down into a huge field, with lots of mud on the way down, that's right you all heard me right Deej finally got his bike dirty. LOL So this is all the fun I have been missing out on SWEET!!!

deej

Old 05-06-2006, 07:59 PM

We want some pics before you clean the bike for proof...

Quick Reply: Front sprocket noise