Front fork springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I called him on Friday to order f/r springs, and I got the same $20 reverse discount. Also, he said he was out of springs for my bike and would call and charge me in about 10 days when his shipment came in. So, hurry up and wait.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Spring guys

Originally Posted by 4vman1
I called him on Friday to order f/r springs, and I got the same $20 reverse discount. Also, he said he was out of springs for my bike and would call and charge me in about 10 days when his shipment came in. So, hurry up and wait.
As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, 'Cannon Racecraft', is where MP gets his springs. Home - Cannon Racecraft I believe Cannon makes springs for a majority of the independent suspension tuners in America.

MP has to wait because 'Cannon' makes them to order for the KLX-KYB shock and forks. The shock spring takes a bit longer to make, I expect because it's powder coated.

If you are doing the swap yourself, you may want to 'finish' the fork springs yourself, unless MP does it for you. The 'closed' ends are heated to bend them closed, then ground flat to ride straight. Mine did not arrive with a mirror finish grind job, so I de-burred/de-horned them myself. The spring guys leave that fine tuning, perfectionist type stuff to the end mechanic. With the heavier gauge wire used for the heavier fork springs, you will need to modify the white nylon type, spring centering guide, by removing some material for clearance inside the new spring. A belt sander works pretty well.

Let us know how long it takes to get your springs. They were slammed (Cannon) when I ordered mine, (Sept. '14) and it took about 4 weeks. Looking back, I understated my final cost. Fork and shock springs were $259 after shipping.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking about going straight to Cannon, but I figured MP would already know the dimensions and I plan on ordering his Ultra Valves in the future, so I went that route. The 10 day wait was sort of a surprise, but it could be worse.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

For anyone else looking for springs... don't forget eBay either.
MotoPro and RaceTech were slightly cheaper for me than the quote I got from Cannoncraft, and eBay was another $30-50 cheaper.

I got front Racetech fork springs for a KLX300 (to fit into my 06 KLX250 w/ a spacer) for $100 even. They were the complete kit/packaging from RaceTech (including the spacers and install instructions and stickers).

I installed them the other day (first time to pull forks, bleed brakes, etc), will hopefully get to test them out tomorrow.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

@4vman1

If you're getting .44 front springs he said he had just run out of them when I called last Friday. He ordered more that day, and told me it would be between 4 and 10 business days before he had any. Guess you called the same day, coincidence...

I left a voicemail at MP yesterday, and John called me this morning. He said that there was a few sets in front of mine, and that he was still waiting for his shipment.

FYI

MP doesn't sell their ultramax valve kit for KLXs anymore. I had asked initially about purchasing the kit and parts so that I could do the shocks myself, but he said that 'it was uncommon for KLX owners to do their own work' so he would only put them in at his shop.

Since he must have the parts for a kit, it seemed rather odd that he would not sell them to me. I don't need any fancy packaging! Still, I didn't argue, as I've never seen a fork worked on in person, and have enough on my hands at the moment.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

For now I'm just going to try the stiffer springs. I'm sure later I will add gold valves or ship them off for somebody else to do later.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KYB Forks

Originally Posted by AdventuresinRealLife
@4vman1

If you're getting .44 front springs he said he had just run out of them when I called last Friday. He ordered more that day, and told me it would be between 4 and 10 business days before he had any. Guess you called the same day, coincidence...

I left a voicemail at MP yesterday, and John called me this morning. He said that there was a few sets in front of mine, and that he was still waiting for his shipment.

FYI

MP doesn't sell their ultramax valve kit for KLXs anymore. I had asked initially about purchasing the kit and parts so that I could do the shocks myself, but he said that 'it was uncommon for KLX owners to do their own work' so he would only put them in at his shop.

Since he must have the parts for a kit, it seemed rather odd that he would not sell them to me. I don't need any fancy packaging! Still, I didn't argue, as I've never seen a fork worked on in person, and have enough on my hands at the moment.
Well, he's got your suspenders, so it's all in motion now. But if you want to talk to another suspension guru for a second opinion, call Les at LT Racing here in WA. http://www.lt-racing.com/ He's a knowledgeable guy and offers a complete re-valve (Comp + Rebouind) on his web site. He originally gave me 'Cannons' contact info for my springs. Les is friendly, and knows motorcycles.

Below is my seat of the pants opinion, and is totally free. Read at your own risk!

I believe the gold valves offered by MP and most other suspension tuners for the KLX 250's are compression only, so you would likely have to go with new, or modified damper rods or play with oil weights and volumes for any change in rebound dampening. I kinda think it wouldn't be too hard to open up/detail the stock comp. valve set up if one felt the need.

IMHO, springs alone are the biggest 'bang for you buck' improvement you can do on the KLX 250s suspension.

Just curious, do you get your old/replaced parts back?

Last edited by dezryder; 01-20-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe your old springs if you bought new ones, but usually no. All that is usually changed is a bunch of shims anyway.

Les revalved the suspension on my KTM300 a few years back and did great job. I'd use him again in a heartbeat.