Front brake sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Front brake sucks

The front brake on my klx300 doesn't bite down at all. I can grab it as hard as I want and it'll just slow me down. No endo's!
What could be wrong?

Old 01-20-2009, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Do they feel spongy and how is your pad life?

Old 01-20-2009, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

They could also be dirty. I had the same problem with my rear brake. When I cleaned my chain some of the overspray got on the rear brake causing the same problem. A simple can of brake parts cleaner did the trick for me.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

When they are new (new rotors/pads) you have to scuff them both in. I know the front on my KLX250 felt unsettlingly weak the day I brought it home, but by the end of that weekend they were nice and grabby.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

They may be dirty. Take a can of brake cleaner and spray them.

Mine are grabby enough, with enough pressure, the rear lifts off the ground. Thou the front springs drive hard with them being stock springs.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Cleaned them off with brake cleaner, checked fluid and looked full but added some fresh anyway. Slowly squeezed the lever and it didn't bubble at all. Opened the bottom and drained some out, put the top back on and went for a short ride. No different.

When I pull the lever it feels different than my other bikes. It feels like it's fighting me when I pull it; like it's pushing back against my hand. Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Warped rotor? Does it pulse when it fights back?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

No, I know what he means. That XT225 I bought for my girlfriend did the same thing. When you squeeze a normal brake, it gets harder to squeeze the further you squeeze it. But in this case, squeezing the brake lever feels like you're pumping air into a ball - the lever feels like pressure is pushing it back, not matter how far you squeeze it. Even so, the brakes barely grab.

There's an air bubble in the master cylinder, and bleeding from the caliper won't get it out. I was replacing the front brake hose on the XT too, so I took the old hose and cut it in half. I connected the hose to the master cylinder as usual. I then took the top off the master cylinder and submerged the cut end into the reservoir. Then, just pump the brake until there are no more bubbles.

You could use the stock brake hose, or an automotive bleeder kit if you can find the right adapter, like a MityVac. For some reason, these little brake systems are a bitch to bleed, so it may take a while.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

yep, that's what it feels like! Any other little bike I've messed with I could remove the top and slowly squeeze the lever and make the air bubbles come up. Takes a long time but it's always worked.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Fill the line with a syringe from the bottom up. No bubbles, job done.

Quick Reply: Front brake sucks