Front Brake Reservoir Screws Stripped

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by osavip
A modern, high quality Phillips screwdriver works on JIS screws. Just make sure it’s the correct size. If you’re bored, read this:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/hozan-j...rivers-review/
sure it should work - but there's something about the stock screws and the threads they thread into that makes them extra stuck with time. I think stripping them even with with the correct driver bit is easy/possible. and like I said it stripped the screwdriver(came with some bike, either this or the yamah) for me while at it! and yeah I think they're m5. actually this seems to be a common issue with (japanese?) bikes in general?

Old 01-22-2020, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Best thing to do with JIS and Philips types is to take them out... out back and throw them as far as you can... then go get a socket head cap screw - aka allen head - that can actually be taken out with a proper fitting allen. I think the size is M5-.80 length is probably 10mm.

JIS and Philips are great for quick assembly on an assembly line, but that's about it. Used to be bike cases were built using JIS, most now use hex head or allen head bolts for obvious reasons. They can actually be removed usually without huge effort, using hand tools.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

The right tool for the job already exists.
The almost worthless tool kit on the bike has the exact screw driver needed to remove all the JIS on the bike (brake reservoirs, chain slider, rear brake protective cover, etc).
I've only had trouble getting the rear brake cover off and for that I put a JIS bit in my impact screwdriver and it came right out.
Replacing screws with bolts can encourage over tightening of fragile things like master cylinder lids or float bowls and cause them to break.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

After a few brake fluid changes I have finally stripped out my rear reservoir screws too. I couldn't find replacements at Home Depot or Lowe's. I'm using generic screws for now but I would like to find the correct size screws without having to order OEM ones from Kawasaki.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I know Fastenal sells them and it isn't horribly expensive even if you have to buy a bag of 10. Click here to see choices and pricing, but you'll need a cooperative store if you try to buy only a few. I know it is M5 x 0.50, not sure about the length, but for some reason 10-15mm sticks in my mind. Get the bright zinc plated, not the black oxide. Ace Hardware may just carry the part too.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
The almost worthless tool kit on the bike has the exact screw driver needed to remove all the JIS on the bike (brake reservoirs, chain slider, rear brake protective cover, etc).
I've only had trouble getting the rear brake cover off and for that I put a JIS bit in my impact screwdriver and it came right out.
Replacing screws with bolts can encourage over tightening of fragile things like master cylinder lids or float bowls and cause them to break.
Sure, but RIP that tool for me. it's now just a spiky end after I tried to force torque on that tool while pushing it in. hence me just dremeling a slot into the screws.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
If they don't have enough mechanical sense to think about how tight to tighten a small allen why would you think they have enough mechanical sense to actually use a philips or JIS bit correctly? It's part of the mechanical learning curve if nothing else. Some would snap off an M14mm bolt.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
If they don't have enough mechanical sense to think about how tight to tighten a small allen why would you think they have enough mechanical sense to actually use a philips or JIS bit correctly? It's part of the mechanical learning curve if nothing else. Some would snap off an M14mm bolt.
I'm fairly sure the reason to use use a a jis here is a) easier to make it flush/countersunk and just b) everyone has always used them on the brake reservoirs. if they were worried about overtightening twisting the cap or whatever.. ..why the hell use m5?

Old 01-25-2020, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dtrackermslazgromthailassi
I'm fairly sure the reason to use use a a jis here is a) easier to make it flush/countersunk and just b) everyone has always used them on the brake reservoirs. if they were worried about overtightening twisting the cap or whatever.. ..why the hell use m5?

You mean why use a countersunk socket head cap screw that allows a good firm fit of the tool used to spin it in and snug it up?

First, your JIS scre is an M5 - .80 cap screw., so I use an M5 because that is what it is. Just uses a different head. Drive size is 3mm, no problem, have several in the drawer.