Front Brake Line Movement - HELP NEEDED PRETTY QUICK

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Default Front Brake Line Movement - HELP NEEDED PRETTY QUICK

Okay folks, I need some feedback in fairly short order here. I am planning on taking my daughter (2nd oldest of 4 kids - 2 boys & 2 girls in case someone is keeping score ) camping tonight, and I would like to take the KLX and do some trail riding with her. Low impact of course.

Anyway, here's the deal. Last night I was tinkering on the bike a little and I decide to reposition the handlebars somewhat to give me another option on mounting my windshield. As I was doing that, the danged front brake line kept getting in the way. I moved it side-to-side a little bit, but didn't think I had done anything that would affect anything. As you know, when the brake line turns down the left fork, it passed through a little plastic ring that is clipped into a little metal bracket. I think there is another one just like it a little further down the fork. Well as I was piddling, the upper plastic ring popped out of the metal ring. No big deal, I put it back in an repositioned the brake line.

Here the problem, as I was driving the bike last night, the brake line seemed to have a mind of it's own. Basically ever time I engage the clutch, the brake line moves up quite a bit. I have noticed in the past that it will move very slightly when I pull the clutch lever, but nothing ever significant. Now, though, it is a bunch. To the point that it moves in front of the speedo and I can't see it.

I moved the plastic handlebar clip that holds the brake line over to the left side and it was able to hold the movement down, but then the front brakes seemed to act a little funny - like I was running with them half engaged or something.

Am I over-reacting. Is this all in my head. Quite possibly, but I don't want to take the bike out into the woods if there is a problem.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Front Brake Line Movement - HELP NEEDED PRETTY QUICK

sorry man, that sounds like a goofy thing ya got goin on there... not sure whats up.... the line moving wouldnt be what im worried about, the brake not working right would worry me... just make sure the front brake works all the way, thats as much help as i can give.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:19 AM

might try to lift the front tire off the ground and see if it spins freely , at least then you will know if its stuck or not

Old 10-08-2006, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Could be that you rotated the bars forward and pushed the brake line up in front of the speedo with the extra brake line. Its an idea.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

try firedudes idea lift the front wheel and spin it, if all ok then try applying the brake while its spinning, see how that goes

Old 10-08-2006, 06:09 PM

i have changed my bars and my brakeline had to be relocated a little and my brakeline moves a lot as well because it doesn't fit in the stock crossbar clip anymore. i wouldn't worry about it, as the fork compress' the length of the fork changes and the length of the brakeline stays the same, so really, at least in my case, the fork is moving up and down, not the brakeline. good luck.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:49 PM

I think you guys nailed it. As drewski deduced, I did move my handlebars forward during my windshield work. I forgot to mention that. I road the bike a little on some single trail yesterday and it seemed to perform well. I will check the spin on the front tire this afternoon just to be sure, but I think it is okay.

On a related note, has anyone shortened their brakeline for this or any other reason? I would imagine that it is just a matter of draining the brake fluid and then cutting the line then refilling the brake fluid. Is there anything more to it than that?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-08-2006, 09:24 PM

the brakeline is long b/c if you ever jump/wheelie etc. it will be stretched farther than it is during normal operation. you don't want to cut it. it is under some pretty high psi under braking so it requires special fittings. a regular hose clamp will not hold it for very long without leaking or coming off.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:28 AM

klxstiffler, good point. I guess I had better leave well enough alone. I took my windshield off for a test (the bracket interfered a little with the brake line) and it seems to be operating normally. Some movement, but nothing too severe, I guess. I guess I need to get a little more creative with how I route the line once I re-install the shield.

Thanks, all.

Chris

Old 10-09-2006, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Like Keith said do NOT shorten your brake line, that is a job for experts and if you jump the bike at all you may not have enough line for safe operation.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Front Brake Line Movement - HELP NEEDED PRETTY QUICK