freeway wiggle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Another thought I feel compelled to share on the topic of speed wobble is that the condition should be regarded as VERY SERIOUS. I would be extremely hesitant to continue riding a bike which has demonstrated speed wobble tendencies without first taking corrective actions, whatever they be (steering damper, head bearing adjustment, wheel balance, etc).

I say this as someone who has seen first-hand, a speed wobble become a tank-slapper and result in INSTANT DEATH within a time frame of less than 5 seconds on the track.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

You should not use a damper to fix your issue, fix your issue then if you need a damper put one on.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Everyone on the internet is an expert at everything.

Read up on what a steering stabliizer can do. All the top road racing machines have them. All the top desert racers use them. Read up on them.... Make your own judgement call.

They work.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

RaceGass; "Everyone on the internet is an expert at everything."
-------------------------------------
So true! Like I always say, "my thoughts are worth every penny paid for them"!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Who here uses a stabilizer on their KLX, what kind, and are there any other modifications needed (e.g. handlebars)? I was riding through the sand whoops this spring and got to try a Yam with stabilizer, and what a nice difference it made.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Parts invoice and the mods required. Picked up the Scotts stabilizer off ebay.

Upper triple clamp needs clearancing for the allen pinch bolt for the bolt on post. You can see the unpainted area where the aluminum was removed. Takes alittle time to do took me about a half hour of grinding and refitting to check for adequite clearance.

The ignition key needs to be bent since the scotts stabilizer interferes.

The wer stabilizer requires work to install also, read up on klxforum.suncup.net

Attached Thumbnails freeway wiggle?-copy-scottsklxinvoice-003.jpg   freeway wiggle?-copy-scottsklx-001.jpg   freeway wiggle?-copy-scottsklx.jpg  

Last edited by RaceGass; 07-22-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

80mph at 8000 rpm? I think i run 9000? I might have a different sprocket?

Old 07-22-2011, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Shift into 7th....

Old 07-22-2011, 04:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Everyone on the internet is an expert at everything.

Read up on what a steering stabliizer can do. All the top road racing machines have them. All the top desert racers use them. Read up on them.... Make your own judgement call.

They work.
Why not fix the problem first, then get the steering damper? (Not trying to offend you any further, just really curious)

Old 07-22-2011, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Exactly what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!
You have to fix the bike first , don't sweep the problem under a steering stabilizer or the rug . Then , if you want to race the bike , by all means , it really helps when you squeeze the bike .
With a knobby there will be a small ammout of shake around 60 - 70 MPH , not higher or lower , depending on the tire pattern , the bumps on the road , and if you help it by sitting on the back of the seat . With a 100 % road tire you should not have any shake . The possible causes have been listed allready , I´m not sure if anyone mentioned looking for a bike shop with a dymamic wheel balancer .

Quick Reply: freeway wiggle?