free 2007 klx250s keihin carb mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Default free 2007 klx250s keihin carb mod

Alright, I now have 400 miles on this beauty, and it just seemed anemic. So thinking back on some of my previous bikes, I decided to take out the snorkel completely. So I did. I cannot believe how small the inlets are in the snorkel!! Then I took off everything to get to the top of the carb (it's a KEIHIN), removed the top cover and the diaphram with needle in it. I put a 0.010" shim (just a very small washer) under the needle to raise it up out of the jet. This basically moves the fuel curve a tad richer to compensate for the snorkel I removed. But before I tell you what it's like now, this is what it was doing before. I live in Florida, so it's freakin hot all the time. Choke: 3 seconds then push it in. No hesitation, ever. No backfiring, ever. The reason I did this was I felt at highway speed (60 & up), it felt like I was giving it almost half throttle to keep it going, like it was lean (like when you let off the throttle all the way, and roll back into it, pay attention how far you have to go just to hold it at one speed). Now for the after: Lots of noise from the airbox . Me likes....Better throttle response in every gear. Now I only have to give it a quarter throttle to hold it's speed. And a heck of a lot more power at highway speeds in 6th. I used a machinist caliper to measure various plastics in the garage, and finally settled for 0.010" thickness. I cut the plastic (from a toy package) out and made it into a washer that is the same size as the big end of the needle.I figured plastic would hold up as the slide is plastic and the diaphram is rubber! I refrained from going overboard with the thickness as I've learned from my mistakes in the past with previous bikes (changing fouled spark plugs every 100 miles from over doing it), and I am extremely happy with the results. Also, I still have never had to adjust the idle ****, and I don't even know where the idle mixture screw is! This is my first mod, and still has stock exhaust on it. Yipeee!!! If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

PESE!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: free 2007 klx250s keihin carb mod

zap, you should also try drilling out the baffle(s) in the highly restrictive stock muffler to give you an even air-flow and a little more "punch".

Also check out Adventure Rider's (advrider.com) - 'Long Term KLX250s Review' for lots of info at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107591

and

Planet KLX at http://www.planetklx.com/

Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 PM

I've read about it. But are you guys getting a drill bit just big enough to go in the end whole? Or put a dang 1 1/2" whole saw to the end of it! Seen some pics in the album someone did this to.

hey klxrider, do you people from the south west have big demand for lawn services? It's a year round business here in Florida. I just didn't see ANY grass on your website pics! And I thought it was hot here! My mistake.........guess it's not so bad. It only went over 100 degrees once last year.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I used a 1/2" drill bit (12" long) up the muffler and went thru two baffles - it was a quick, easy and inexpensive fix but I'd suggest replacing the stock jets also.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah but it's a dry heat!

And yes, there are a lot of lawns as well as golf courses out here but water use is becoming restrictive. The price of water utilities in the town I live in has tripled in the last 5 years.

The link below should give you an idea of where I live:

http://www.scottsdalecvb.com/

Old 08-05-2007, 05:05 AM

Sorry lads, but you dont know heat. Try living in Australia where it can be incredibly hot, where many parts of this sunblessed nationhave level 5 and 6 waterrestrictions (no watering of lawns or washing cars) Oh welll ,,,,,because golf courses should be motorbike tracks!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2007, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

LOL....a dry heat.........I stayed in vegas for a while but........a dry heat?........Pennsylvania right at this moment feels like Cambodia and it just keeps getting warmer......But I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! better than winter!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2007, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on PA feeling like Cambodia

Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

+10 on turning the golf courses into motocross playgrounds! Australia - That kind of heat I can handle, it's all that other "stuff" you have down under which can kill you in thirty seconds or less when it bites, which sounds like a lot fun! The most dangerous thing in our desert is land developers and realtors! What's been happening with that Cane Toad epidemic in the land of Dundee?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5289/D5260E4C9169472B8EDD5E1AEAB8379D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-06-2007, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Have you guys been to Death Valley? It is the most grotesquely beautiful plance in the Continental US. Some of the landscape is jawdropping. Anyway, I was there during the summer and it was hot. Like 110 or so. The wind was blowing like crazy too. It is really weird to have such strong wind when it is that hot.

Quick Reply: free 2007 klx250s keihin carb mod