Freakish whistling sound from front of 09 KLX250 1700 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine also,, great to hear, was going to strip it all out when i get home,, will try the speedo first,,
Cheers Guys

Old 10-27-2014, 12:09 AM

Signed up just for this forum topic...
Mine has started doing this too, same trial and error, not the brakes will try the speedo sensor on my day off.
Very annoying slight whistle that sounds like wind, only does it above 12kph no matter what gear and stops a tad when I lean right.
Klx250 2008 /09

Old 10-27-2014, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I've experienced this issue too. What works for me is to ensure the axle nut is not excessively tightened before torquing the pinch bolts + instead of compressing the forks during installation I used the wheel spin-brake method of squaring the axle ala Race-Tech (Fork Installation).

When servicing I thoroughly cleaned the old lube from the seal on the sensor (including the sand trapped in the groove of the seal), used a thin layer of silicone grease, and reassembled.

I sometimes notice the noise reappears after a thorough washing.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:32 PM

Ahh ok yeah well i did just wash it...
Its coming on intermittently now

Old 10-28-2014, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I get the same noise, no one is crazy. Mine seems to come and go after the bike gets dusty. I wash it and it goes away for the most part. I've looked the bike over to make sure it's safe and just kept cruising it. I'm probably 6 or 7k miles into the intermittent noise and it's still the same. Doesn't bother me much having driven heavily modified crappy Jeeps the last 7 years that make all kinds of noises.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

4 year old thread & has anyone figure it out yet? My 2014 with 5500 miles just started doing this after I installed a new tire (Shinko 705). Sounds like a tea kettle. I greased the axle & spedo wheel too, that's it.
Edit: I took the front end apart & wiped all the grease off everywhere & reassembled it bone dry. Loosened the axle nut to around 50 ft/lb. Also adjusted the plastics around the fuel tank & seat (someone claimed that's what it was). The noise went away for the 5 minute ride. Will update if noise comes back. Hope this helps others.

Last edited by texas123; 05-07-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I have no solution but did have this exact sound a few months back. I bought a used rim/rotor combo and put a new tire on it. First ride after the install it made the whistling noise but not immediately - maybe after 30 miles. It drove me nuts! After a few hours of riding it went away and never returned. I attributed the whistle to the new tire or rim. I initially thought it had something to do with the old brake pads contacting the different rotor but as someone mentioned, it would happen even when not pulling the front brake.

Weird sound indeed...

Old 05-08-2018, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

pads may lightly rub even when brake is released.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:54 AM
Default Front end noise

My 09 is making that annoying noise also, i just had the forks rebuilt and new bearings and greased everything including the speed sensor and torqued everything and still have the sound! Has anyone figured anything out?

Old 08-01-2018, 12:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Stop when out riding. give your front caliper a couple light kicks with your toe, to push the pucks back in a bit, that will make sure there is no pressure on the pads, but be warned it will make the brake lever pull in possibly to the bars when you first brake. You will need to pump the brake back up. Ride and see if the noise is still there. If it has gone away it is your pads chattering on the rotor, you need to clean the slider pin on the carrier and also the pins holding the pads to allow free sliding movement for both the caliper on the carrier and the pads on the pins.

One other thought, has anything been bolted on the front end, a bag or shield or any other change?

Quick Reply: Freakish whistling sound from front of 09 KLX250 1700 miles.