Fork rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Question Fork rebuild questions

After thinking I was 'almost' done with this bike, today I noticed the left fork leaking severely... tried fork saver/cleaner already.

I've searched but can't find the direct answers to these few questions:

1)How much fluid/oil in "ounces" (or ml I guess) does each fork hold?

2) Bike has 2800 miles on it (been sitting for years though) ... what are the chances the bushings also need to be replaced? I saw the piece of trash under the seal causing the leak, but I think it had been there so long it deformed the seal.

3) How many 'average' miles can/should the bushings go before needing replacement (outside of a crash or physical impact damage) under normal wear conditions?

I planned on just replacing the seals, but may do bushings as well. Called to see what local shop charge and they said "2 hrs per fork"...?! Anyway, with only 2800 miles they didn't seem to think bushings were necessary. I have removed and drained the forks, but not taken them completely apart to see the bushings.

Also it's been hard to find all KYB or SKF seals/bushings! Having to piece it all together to order - any help there?

Thanks for your help and patience with the new guy...

Old 01-05-2024, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RECON250s
After thinking I was 'almost' done with this bike, today I noticed the left fork leaking severely... tried fork saver/cleaner already.

I've searched but can't find the direct answers to these few questions:

1)How much fluid/oil in "ounces" (or ml I guess) does each fork hold?

2) Bike has 2800 miles on it (been sitting for years though) ... what are the chances the bushings also need to be replaced? I saw the piece of trash under the seal causing the leak, but I think it had been there so long it deformed the seal.

3) How many 'average' miles can/should the bushings go before needing replacement (outside of a crash or physical impact damage) under normal wear conditions?

I planned on just replacing the seals, but may do bushings as well. Called to see what local shop charge and they said "2 hrs per fork"...?! Anyway, with only 2800 miles they didn't seem to think bushings were necessary. I have removed and drained the forks, but not taken them completely apart to see the bushings.

Also it's been hard to find all KYB or SKF seals/bushings! Having to piece it all together to order - any help there?

Thanks for your help and patience with the new guy...
1) 450ml each, 101mm height
2)Most likely not.
3) Depends on riding environment, probably 10k+ miles.

I believe all ***** sells both the seals and the bushings.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you sir. I went to the dealer out of curiosity, and to get fork fluid, and they said the spec'd fork fluid volume was 531ml....? I got 3 pints (450ml each). Also, I'm installing a KLX4 Koubalink if that little extra fluid helps act as a small spacer up front...?? Thanks again

Old 01-05-2024, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you sir. I went to the dealer out of curiosity, and to get fork fluid, and they said the spec'd fork fluid volume was 531ml....? I got 3 pints (450ml each). Also, I'm installing a KLX4 Koubalink if that little extra fluid helps act as a small spacer up front...?? Thanks again
If you completely disassemble the forks, yes they hold 531ml. If you are just doing a fluid change then 450ml.
Not sure about that koubalink.
Do you have a service manual?

Old 01-05-2024, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

No service manual yet... got the bike to downsize from the 690 and wasn't sure if I'd keep it. Now that Ive gone through it 100%, I guess I'll order a manual.

Yeah, full drain and disassembly of forks. I ordered all SKF stuff, but dont think I'll change the bushings as the OEM ones actually look OK ...and look to be better quality than the new ones.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

No service manual yet... got the bike to downsize from the 690 and wasn't sure if I'd keep it. Now that Ive gone through it 100%, I guess I'll order a manual.

Yeah, full drain and disassembly of forks. I ordered all SKF stuff, but dont think I'll change the bushings as the OEM ones actually look OK ...and look to be better quality than the new ones.
You can download one here.

Yeah unless there is side to side play those bushings are probably still good.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrian719
You can download one here.

Yeah unless there is side to side play those bushings are probably still good.
Thanks! I looked everywhere for that link....I appreciate it.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrian719
If you completely disassemble the forks, yes they hold 531ml. If you are just doing a fluid change then 450ml.
Not sure about that koubalink.
Do you have a service manual?
Dealer didn't have Kawi oil so I got Yami... 5wt. I thought I read on here in my research that 5wt was the correct oil. That service manual I just downloaded says this for viscosity, "KHL15-10 (KAYABA01) or Viscosity: equivalent". is the 5wt OK or do I need 10wt?

Thanks for your help

Old 01-05-2024, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Dealer didn't have Kawi oil so I got Yami... 5wt. I thought I read on here in my research that 5wt was the correct oil. That service manual I just downloaded says this for viscosity, "KHL15-10 (KAYABA01) or Viscosity: equivalent". is the 5wt OK or do I need 10wt?

Thanks for your help
What the manual calls for is equivalent to 5wt fork oil so you're good!

Old 01-08-2024, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member

If you put more oil you'll get a stiffer fork at the end of the travel (when compressed). The safest way is to measure the height of the oil instead of the volume.

Quick Reply: Fork rebuild questions