Fork bleeder screw

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Fork bleeder screw

I hope this isn't a dumb question. I don't see the bleeder screw on the tops of my forks. How do you bleed the pressure out of the 09 250s? And is anyone using bleeder valves on the 09? Thanks !

Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Great question. I noticed they were MIA on my 09 too.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

So im not crazy. Anyone know how to bleed an 09 then?

Old 09-20-2011, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Ehh...OK - let ME ask the stupid question: Why should I want to bleed the front fork of my '09 KLS ?

OK - must admit I can guess part of the answer; get excess air ut of the tubes......but why should this modern construction contain more air than needed for an oil/air damped fork ?
I mean; the manual should say "XX mm/inches of space from oil level to top of fork - then screw caps tight"
If You follow this - how do you get excess air in tubes - change in barmethic pressure or ?

Old 09-20-2011, 05:44 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jesper Hedegaard
Ehh...OK - let ME ask the stupid question: Why should I want to bleed the front fork of my '09 KLS ?

OK - must admit I can guess part of the answer; get excess air ut of the tubes......but why should this modern construction contain more air than needed for an oil/air damped fork ?
I mean; the manual should say "XX mm/inches of space from oil level to top of fork - then screw caps tight"
If You follow this - how do you get excess air in tubes - change in barmethic pressure or ?
Yes, altitude and temp can affect the pressure in the fork, but most forks can incrementally draw air into the fork with use. If you google "fork air bleed" you'll get some good resources about this. I think Kawasaki left them off on the '09 because most users of the KLX are not doing any hardcore off roading, and this is the only place where you'll really notice it. Excess pressure in the fork does affect performance by yielding a harsher ride from what the fork should be delivering. When I'm on trips out west where I'm riding every day, I bleed the fork every time I put the bike on my lever-lift to lube the chain. Day after day when temps and altitude are fairly equal, I still get the little "hiss" from the bleed valve. I have no fork seal leaks. This seems to be a natural phenomenon that most suspension tuners recognize as normal.

The only reason the '06-'07 model KLX has the valves is probably because the component spec was still more closely tied to the KLX300 off road-only model. I think they should have left them in there, but I'm sure someone smarter than I at Kawasaki knew better.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

There's a little relief in teh casting where the valve should go. I imagine that you could add them if you felt so inclined.

It was a cheap out move. The valves would have cost a buck so they were skipped. Just like the skidplate and lame handlebars.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I wonder if the older klx250s forktube caps with the screw will fit the 09

Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Illking
I wonder if the older klx250s forktube caps with the screw will fit the 09
I'd be shocked if they didn't interchange, as it's basically the same KYB fork with a slight travel reduction. I see that the new price is over $70 per cap. I think I'd just drill mine and install an actual schrader valve. Then you could unscrew the valve cap with your fingers and then bleed the air with your fingernail...no tools needed to bleed.