Folding Mirror Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Default Folding Mirror Question

Well, it looks like I completely missed the boat on my choice for folding mirrors. I bought the all plastic design because they looked like a lower profile, more refined option. As it turns out, they are lower profile, but they are way less refined because they are functionally worthless. In fact, I just ran across them on another website that specifically describes them as the "you can't see nuttin' behind you mirror". Oh well, live and learn.

It sounds like the Ken Sean style mirror is the way to go. I have not seen anyone post a bad experience with them. I am not overly thrilled with the looks of this mirror, but it sounds like it serves its purpose really well by being adjustable for position and low-vibe even at cruising speed.

My only question is mounting. For anyone that has experience with this mirror design, can you answer this - Does the Ken Sean mirror screw directly into the stock mounts, or is another bracket required? The pics I am finding look like the mirror does not come with handlebar mounts. In fact, one site specifically sells mirror mounts separately right after the Ken Sean mirror listing. In looking at the pictures, though, it also looks like they do not need them. Is that right? I don't want to order just the mirrors only to find out that I should have also ordered brackets. Doh!

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-11-2006, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Folding Mirror Question

I do not know which mirror you are talking about. The mirrors I bought look just like the Ken Sean but were a bit cheaper. The have a 10mm post and screw right into the stock mount. The reason they sell the mounts is that not all bikes come with them!
You may need to move an arm or something for the best view but I found these mirrors to be great.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:07 PM

Joe,

Thanks for the info, that is what I was thinking. When I put the MSR mirrors on, I was actually wondering what would be the best way to plug the holes left from the stock mirrors. The MSR mirrors needed their own mounts. Anyway, it looked like the Ken Sean mirrors just screwed in. Much better.

You bring up a good point about the brands. I have seen what looks like the same mirror marketed as Ken Sean, EMGO and maybe one other. Does the Ergo name ring a bell? These are about $5 cheaper per mirror, so if they are the same mirror, I dang sure would rather buy them.

Thanks again,
Chris

Old 09-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Here is where I got mine. They come with the bolt that goes right into our existing mirror holder. The adjustable nut is awesome, tight enough not to move on you, but lets you fold it when you don't need them. http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/Mirrors.html

Old 09-11-2006, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I went one step further, I trimmed mine down. Does not get in the way as much.
Check it out.

Name:  RoadTrip6.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  145.1 KB

Old 09-11-2006, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

BTW I only use one. The right side I just removed. Dont need it here in NC.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Gravy I was going to buy one of those Kawasaki bar pads, but I just couldn't get past the fact that its not centered on the bar because of the brake hose clamp, I know I'm sick, But hey maybe that will make me want a new bar, and then everything will be right with the world again.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

You only use one mirror? But that makes the bike look funny doesn't it? I mean it has to be the same on both sides right? No? Its only me?................ Next thing you'll be saying is that you don't have to wash your bike the same day you get it dirty.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:08 PM

Thanks, all. I am definitely going to pick up a pair of these. I am also in NC so I don't need the right one. I found out in the last couple of days, though, that I like having them both there. I took both mirrors off and rode around for a couple of days with no mirrors (I am crazy like that ). I found myself several times checking to see what was behind me only to realize - no mirrors. I guess that is a good thing that I actually use them.

Oh, any word on Ken Sean versus EMGO versus other brands. They all seem to be exactly the same, just rebranded. ThumperTalk has the EMGO and Ken Sean mirrors, but the EMGO ones are several dollars cheaper. Interesting.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-11-2006, 08:28 PM

I got mine from Dennis Kirk, no waiting, no BS. They are great. They don't vibrate, mount right up and fold away easily.

Quick Reply: Folding Mirror Question