FMF Q4 installed on 2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the above comment, open up the airbox when you add the pipe and rejet.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 PM

thanks for the direction. can you guys be more specific like recommending model or part numbers for the jets and exhaust? maybe even sources on where to buy, etc.? it would be much appreciated. my experience with these modifications is zero.

thankx

Old 03-05-2011, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikey113
Oldfart,

When you can give some more input about the Q4 w/o jetting please do. I want to buy it and bolt it on but haven't due to the carb re jet issues. I can bolt stuff fine but have never messed with carbs. Have you pulled your snorkel? Or just the Q4? I have the 09 Cali model too and am at roughly 500 ft elevation. So if it os working for you maybe I will go for it...
o
So far, I have only done the Q4.

It runs *alot* better with just the pipe done. It does backfire barely (although I actually like the sound ), and it does act like it's going to die if I suddenly drop off the throttle (never has actually died though), so I'm sure it's still pretty lean. Because of this, I am going to have it jetted (not doing the work myself).

I'm pulling the snorkel today (just getting rid of it, i'll never ride in water that deep). I actually pulled if before and then put it back on, because I thought it was running even leaner with more air coming in, but I'm pretty sure that was my imagination. With the snorkel off, it was considerably louder, but the pipe sound will drown out the snorkel sound

I'll keep this thread updated... Good luck!

Old 03-05-2011, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

If you want to order individual jets , like I did, a good place to get them is Jetsrus.com
The bike is lean from the factory, if you add a pipe or pull the snorkle etc you will make it leaner. These mods let more air run through the engine. It already has too much air, compared to fuel, running through it in stock form. Popping on deceleration does mean it's lean. A lean engine runs hot, running more of a risk of burning up your engine, a rich engine is better than a lean one.
Dan

Old 03-29-2011, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

My DJ kit is on order, and will be installed at the end of the week

I'm at sea level, and cold here is 40F (I'm too wimpy to go out colder than that...), so I've never really experience the cold starting issue

My plan is (in addition to the Q4):
1) Stage 2 DJ
2) K&N Air Filter (NoToil for weekend offroad stuff)
3) Ditch the snorkel entirely.

I'll update this thread with the post-upgrade report.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Bike guru did good.. q4 is one of the best out there.. and quietest...

Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

The bike are not lean, they are almost perfect. I have stock jetting wiht an HMF straight through race pipe, and i have an AIr/Fuel ratio meter. and its PERFECT!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sw0ggd0gg
The bike are not lean, they are almost perfect. I have stock jetting wiht an HMF straight through race pipe, and i have an AIr/Fuel ratio meter. and its PERFECT!
I think out here in California they are lean(er).... anyone know if CA bikes are lean(er)?

Mine definitely acts like it is.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Wow, have you not melted that blinker yet?

It's not a question of whether you can survive without jetting, but whether there is more power and better running with the proper jetting. I would rejet after you have made a decision on air filter and snorkel upgrades.
after 300 miles with the Q4, my blinker is still intact

Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

after 3100 miles with the q4 my blinker is not melted

Quick Reply: FMF Q4 installed on 2010