FMF Q2 Slip-on

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default FMF Q2 Slip-on

Hey all,

I've purchases an FMF Q2 slip-on and am going to do the mods necessary (either use a KLX300 head pipe or weld the end of it to my head pipe) to make it work with my head pipe. I also plan to install the Fast 3 air filter and re-jet the carb. Since FMF doesn't make a pipe for the 'S' model, they don't have any jetting information. Can anyone recommend some jetting specs?

Thanks in advance,

DC4500

Old 04-12-2007, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: FMF Q2 Slip-on

I'd say get the 300 headpipe, they can be had on e-bay for under $30 shipped, much less than you'll pay a welder to make the FMF fit the stock pipe as they would need an extension and then fab up an end so it will fit together with the stock headpipe, not pretty. As far as the rejet goes I'd get the part numbers that are in the sticky at the top of the forum, depending on what you do with the airbox either a 125 or 128 main should be good.

My setup is below in my signature and its running slightly rich according to the plug, but runs great.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

bryantjt,

Yeah I think I will go with the 300 pipe. Worst case I found them on dirtbandit.com for $93.00. Since I got such a good deal on the FMF pipe I'll still be under the cost of a Muzzy or Big Gun. I hadn't really thought about any airbox mods just the fast 3 filter. With just the FMF pipe and fast 3 filter which main jet size would be better? In general would the 128 main make it run richer that the 125? Do I need to change out the pilot?

Thanks for your input so far.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Anyone who runs the DynoJet kits generally doesn't change the pilot as it doesn't come with one. The 128 main is larger and as such will run richer. If you are adding a free flow exhaust you may as well remove the snorkel, costs nothing other than 5 minutes of your time. I personally changed the pilot jet but probably didn't need to as my air/fuel screw is a little under 2 turns out. I probably could have achieved the same mixture with the stock pilot and opening the screw a bit more. I'd love to hear a sound clip of the Q2, I already have a free flowing exhaust but its not very good sounding and its loud. I'd love something that flowed better and was in between the sound levels of the 300 and the stock 250. I thought I wanted loud because it sounded cool, which it does on the trails, but man more than 20 miles on pavement and I wear earplugs.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool. It'll probably be a month or two before I get it all changed out. I'm still in the research/parts gathering stage. I will definately see what I can do about a sound clip once it's up and running.

Thanks again for your help.

dc4500

Old 04-14-2007, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

DC4500 where did you get the q2 at. Was also wondering what you paid for it to buy a header at $93 and still be under the cost of a muzzy or big gun.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the power gains/dollar are minimal with the exhaust. All the bike needs is something less restrictive than the stock boat anchor and a rejet. I'd wager a bike with a 300 stock exhaust properly jetted is at most 1.5 hp behind a full system. So for $400+ you have gained 4.5 hp, or in my case for $50 I gained 3 hp.

Iowa, in no way am I saying its better to get the 300, just dollar for dollar its a bigger bang for the buck. Also in the long run there is no seasonal maintenance fee of repacking it either as its mechanical baffles vs packing.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Iowaguy,

I had the bike in the dirt for the first time since it's break-in period yesterday. It's a great bike on the road but it is certainly sluggish on the throttle response. Sometimes when you need power, you need it sooner than the bike delivers so I am looking for the most power within reason. So what are my options for a head pipe alone to mount to the Q2? I haven'tbeen able to find anything other than the KLX300 pipe recommended so many timeson this forum. Are there some aftermarket headers that will work?

To 2k1w=no$, I bought the Q2 for$200.00 from a friend who was selling his bike and had not yet installed it.

I suppose I could sell the Q2 and invest in a Muzzy but I would like to get the Q2 working. If for nothing else, we would have more configurations to choose from if it works well.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Aside from the stock 300 headpipe the only other one that "might" work is the one from FourStroke Works. I say might because another member on here has the Powercore IV and the FSW header didn't work with it.

Quick Reply: FMF Q2 Slip-on