Flooded bike in the middle of the Everglades!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Flooded bike in the middle of the Everglades!

Had a fun day of riding a few days ago until i accidentally ran into some waist deep water going 50! laid the bike down and turn the key off. Got it out of the swamp, started it and it would get to 2k rpms and would die (but would sit at idle). Tow-roped back out of the sugar sand and took the carb apart, got the water out of the airbox, drained everything, got all of the water and dirt we could out of the bowl and put it all back together and it started up.

went riding a couple days ago again and some water seemed to circulate around and the same probalem happened after we rode and i was getting gas. again took the carb apart cleaned it all out and put it back together. everything works. Only problem now is the bike is really cold starting, with choke puleld all the way out it takes a while to get it going when it used to spark right up with the choke. Do you think it's my valves? and what should I have to do?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Probably change the oil, too, if you haven't already. If the water got into your carb, it also got into your cylinder and/or oil passages. With any sand in that mix....you know the rest.

Sorry to hear about your "surprise!"

Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

But did you "Properly" flood it?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Did the same thing last night but only in 2 feet of water. It was flooded as well but only with gas.

I did manage to break my second (right) fork guard in the effort. Those brittle #$% gotta go.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Drain the fuel tank when you clean the carb! Change the oil & filter. Get new gas, fire it up and let it run for 2 hours.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

but how about my cold starting issue? could it just be "dirty" oil???? or is it a valve issue

Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Was it starting ok before you threw it in the pond?
Or were you bump starting it and drove it into the pond? Tell the Truth!

Old 06-28-2012, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah everything was good til i hit the water.. .since then its running fine but starting cold!

Old 06-28-2012, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you clean the sparkplug? That may help.
I guess if you ran water into the engine, it may have cracked your piston, warped your head or valves, but I doubt it.
I would do the simple things first.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Did you clean the sparkplug? That may help.
I guess if you ran water into the engine, it may have cracked your piston, warped your head or valves, but I doubt it.
I would do the simple things first.

nawwwwwww... its running fine. its just starting cold.. and another thing when im shifting gears right before i realease the clutch theres a weird almost grinding noise like a scrapey sort of noise like something thats grinding, but its just a noise i dont htink its anything too serious. changed the oil ( shouldve done it right at the beginning and may be the source of the weird noise when shifintg). im thinking maybe the valves... should i get them adjusted or what? i've never messed with them before

Quick Reply: Flooded bike in the middle of the Everglades!