Flat Front Tire @ 92 MPH on Highway...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member

mikey, ive had a front flat, and only noticed it a) felt a bit diffrent on the highway, and b) when i grabed the tire when i got home, it caved in like nothing was there. some tires have a REALLY stiff sidewall, and can be riden flat some times (pending not for hours on end). the tire i did this with was the rallye raid 908ff dunlop.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Just readint the subject scares me. I have had my KLX up to 93indicated with passenger so I dont doubt you could do 92indicated. Your lucky it was a leak and not a blowout.
Has anyone had a blowout while rideing. I have only had one blowout and it was in a F150 and it scared the crap out of me! I cant imagine either tire blowing out and keeping control at any highway speed.
Jim

Old 04-27-2010, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking Thats right...

Originally Posted by dan888
Yeah Hmmmm??

As far as changing the tire, the vids on youtube are great.
Dan
Yea, i'm one of those idiots that dont wanna pay $300 a hour for instruction so I get out there and just cross my fingers and just let my ***** hang out! Hence the fractured back, haha...

Old 04-27-2010, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you were very lucky to walk away from that one. The KLX is not the bike to be doing high speed blasts on the highways. Get a street bike if you want to do that kind of riding. IMO.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I've changed 6 or so tires, never a pinch. I've never had a flat though, only changed tires to replace worn tires. Couple of things. 82mph on a KLX? Well that's just Kookie talk. 60 is as fast as I ever want to go on this bike. You mentioned that you've never owned a bike long enough to get a flat.....My questions would be: have you ever owned a bike long enough to take the MSF class? Before I worried about flat tires, I would be more worried about flat out dying on the road. just my two cents.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Congratulations, you have come close to exceeding the speed rating of your tires. Next time, ease up on the speed or risk a tire blow out. Thats if you have the "P" speed rated tires. In any case, slow your butt down. The KLX is not a crouch rocket. Good thing you stayed clamed thou.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
mikey, ive had a front flat, and only noticed it a) felt a bit diffrent on the highway, and b) when i grabed the tire when i got home, it caved in like nothing was there. some tires have a REALLY stiff sidewall, and can be riden flat some times (pending not for hours on end). the tire i did this with was the rallye raid 908ff dunlop.
Punk, I was "this close" to getting the dunlop 908f. They were around $68 at MCSS a couple weeks back and later I went back and they were back at $96. Too rich for my blood! I got the Pirelli Scorpion Rally for $64. It looks really similar to the 908. I'll let you know how it does. For what it's worth, I've had my bike to 78 indicated and that is PLENTY for me.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

ive found the 908f for like 75 bucks, and it last like 6000 miles so i think its a deal. its rotateable too. next time, i might try the kenda 777, but i REALLY liked the 908f. guess it comes down to if i get 606's or trackmasters, i got to have the brands match.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
ive found the 908f for like 75 bucks, and it last like 6000 miles so i think its a deal. its rotateable too. next time, i might try the kenda 777, but i REALLY liked the 908f. guess it comes down to if i get 606's or trackmasters, i got to have the brands match.
Hey punk .... I think the trackmaster front sucks....and I swear by the rear for my riding...just a heads up to prevent disappointment.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Be careful tightening the four nuts that hold the front axle plate on. They pop very easily. Just hand snug with small wrench
What he said missing one right now because they break off with just a little bit too much pressure...

Quick Reply: Flat Front Tire @ 92 MPH on Highway...