First Real Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default First Real Mods

Well, I just installed the Dynojet kit and a full Muzzys exhaust along with a Twin Air filter. I was very pleased when I got the tank back on, hit the e-button and it started right up without a bit of hesitation.

I waited to do these three mods while my seat was being redone by Renazco Racing. However, just hearing the bike through the new exhaust I was forced to swipe the seat from my son's KLX and take it out for a test drive. I am not entirely sure about perfermance gains yet, but the bike certainly sounds more capable!

Once I get my seat back I will be able to compare my son's completely stock '09 and my newly modified '09 side by side. I will be interested to feel if there is any significant difference.

I also replaced the stock bars with Pro-Taper contour bars, KX High. One thing that somewhat surprised me was that the switch housings have little nodules on the inside that fit into holes drilled into the original bars. These are obviously used to locate the housings as they are installed at the factory, and they also keep the housings from spinning on the bars.

In order to get them to close around the new bars I had to file down the nodule in each of the plastic housings. They now close around the Pro-Taper bars, but they are loose and can twist out of position. It is strange to me that I have never heard anyone mention this problem. Any ideas as to how to securely locate them on the new bars?

Also, another member mentioned that the stock cables were at the extreme limit when he used some higher bend bars. I had no problems with the throttle cables, but the clutch cable is at the limit. I have the clutch perch located as inboard on the bars as I can get it. The steering head will still reach the stop when turned to the left, but you can feel the tension in the clutch cable.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Craig

Old 04-10-2009, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I just wrapped electrical tape around the bar, does the job.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:28 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on electrical tape...

I am surprised that the clutch cable is tight...I have the Pro-tapers as well, but my cable is fine. But then again my bike is an 06..maybe there is a difference there. Are you using handguards? and maybe they are interfering somewhat...if so see if the cable is routed above or below the mount for the guard....just a thought.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I had to take the littl nubbies off when I switched bars. When I put the controls back on they tightened down fine. The bars were some Renthal bars I had on my old bike.