First night with SILVERSTAR headlight

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Whats the rating of the new bulb? I'd put the original bulb in and try it, if it works fine there is something wrong with ya new one.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Does the silverstar bulb plug right in, no modifications to the 09 klx250s plug/wiring at all?

The SS bulb is a popular mod for the husky te450 so I have one extra sitting here.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I too speed read, but after reading Tremors first post (most of it)..I agree with the part about drawing too much current through the wires and possibly overheating them....trace the wires carefully and inspect them for damage from heat, insulation melted together or to ground somewhere...good luck...fuses are there for a reason..don't mess with them

Old 12-28-2008, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

The symptons described remind me of internal overloads on devices to protect them. A compressor for a refrigerator will trip out on internal overload from heat as well as current draw. Just a thought. What the actual amp draw on the main feed to the headlight when on versus the stock bulb.(using an amp-probe) Anyone else?

Old 12-28-2008, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I had Silverstars in my truck, lasted about 3 weeks. First the low beam went out on one sitting in my driveway. Then 5min later the other one goes out, still haven't gone anywhere yet. Tried the high beams they both work then POP POP they both went out at the same time!!! Changed back to regular bulbs, had truck checked for wiring issues been good ever since. Never again will I buy those lights, I got a PIAA extreme in my bike now.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dipstik_09
I had Silverstars in my truck, lasted about 3 weeks. First the low beam went out on one sitting in my driveway. Then 5min later the other one goes out, still haven't gone anywhere yet. Tried the high beams they both work then POP POP they both went out at the same time!!! Changed back to regular bulbs, had truck checked for wiring issues been good ever since. Never again will I buy those lights, I got a PIAA extreme in my bike now.

Yeah, I've heard of similar issues with the Silverstars. Even the 'new, improved version seems only last a few months if you're lucky.

Like HID's and even halogens, have to be completey free of all oil on the glass -including body oil- or the life span will be even shorter..like sudden death

Old 12-28-2008, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Your problem will be a loose contact. I suggest looking at the fuse holder more closely. Even thou the fuse works, the contacts within the fuse holder may not. Just bend the two prongs opposite of each other slightly.

After my little HID project, I went with a Sliver Star Ultra. Has been working great. Thou the beam got wacked out of alignment after I jumped the KLX.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok Boys n girls, problem solved. Going by what you SEE can't always be trusted. I learned that along time ago with fuses but it doesn't happen often so it gets overlooked.

I checked everything visually and there were no apperent problems. Got out my tester and started stabbing wires. Everything was flowing everywhere I checked. All wires, contact and fuses looked and tested fine. So I was scratching my head. It was an intermittent problem though. Maybe all connections were fine WHEN I tested them. Who knows, heat, cold, dampness or vibration could all cause intermitent problems.

A long time ago I had a problem like this and recalled that a visually UNBLOWN fuse isn't necessarily a GOOD fuse. I checked the unblown fuse, which tested fine, and found if I put a bit of preasure on it it lost current. Checked the fuse out and the element was not fully connected to the metal end cap.

Changed the fuse. Problem has not replicated itself. Tested sitting and driving smooth and bumpy gravel. NO PROBS!!

While I was messing I mounted a SINGLE 55 watt aux light and direct wired it. It's independant of the main light switch so it's also a failsafe if the headlight or headlight curcuit blips out on me. ( now the silverstar has me spooked BUT I did not touch the glass with my fingers, maybe those that have had problems did)

I liked the TWO lights better because they cast a beam on each side of the fender where the single light mounted under the headlight catches alot of the fender and produces a shadow. I mounted it so that it's beam was at the top of the upper limit of my low beams. With the fender in the way I'm not thrilled with the light output but it might help draw the attention of other drivers. Being small I don't think anybody will mistake it for a high beam but there are two visible lights shining at slightly different angles.

So here are the pics of the single light mounted. It mounts nicely under the headlight using the existing bracket screws.The bottom pic is of the overburdenning twin lights.

You can also make out the new naked bark busters on the single light pic.

Thanks for the help!!

Name:  IMG_5506.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  22.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5503.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  9.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5294.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  5.9 KB

Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horizonod
Ok Boys n girls, problem solved. Going by what you SEE can't always be trusted. I learned that along time ago with fuses but it doesn't happen often so it gets overlooked.

I checked everything visually and there were no apperent problems. Got out my tester and started stabbing wires. Everything was flowing everywhere I checked. All wires, contact and fuses looked and tested fine. So I was scratching my head. It was an intermittent problem though. Maybe all connections were fine WHEN I tested them. Who knows, heat, cold, dampness or vibration could all cause intermitent problems.

A long time ago I had a problem like this and recalled that a visually UNBLOWN fuse isn't necessarily a GOOD fuse. I checked the unblown fuse, which tested fine, and found if I put a bit of preasure on it it lost current. Checked the fuse out and the element was not fully connected to the metal end cap.

Changed the fuse. Problem has not replicated itself. Tested sitting and driving smooth and bumpy gravel. NO PROBS!!

While I was messing I mounted a SINGLE 55 watt aux light and direct wired it. It's independant of the main light switch so it's also a failsafe if the headlight or headlight curcuit blips out on me. ( now the silverstar has me spooked BUT I did not touch the glass with my fingers, maybe those that have had problems did)

I liked the TWO lights better because they cast a beam on each side of the fender where the single light mounted under the headlight catches alot of the fender and produces a shadow. I mounted it so that it's beam was at the top of the upper limit of my low beams. With the fender in the way I'm not thrilled with the light output but it might help draw the attention of other drivers. Being small I don't think anybody will mistake it for a high beam but there are two visible lights shining at slightly different angles.

So here are the pics of the single light mounted. It mounts nicely under the headlight using the existing bracket screws.The bottom pic is of the overburdenning twin lights.

You can also make out the new naked bark busters on the single light pic.

Thanks for the help!!

Looks good! Glad you fixed the earlier problem. I'm also glad the fix was simple and cheap.

Ever think about mouning the driving light to the number plate, ala Baja Designes 'Tecate?'

Anyway, nice work! Anytime you enlarge your light signature it should definitely make you more visible.

I've been kicking around the idea of HID for some time now, but it seems that other things always trump that. Will have to ditch the stock fixture though in favor the KLX450 unit which accomodates the H4 Hi/Lo HID capsules well. Seems it's even easier to mount to a D-tracker than a KLX250. Just need to fab-up a couple of 'L' brackets to hold the top. Bottom bolts right on

Old 12-29-2008, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dipstik_09
It sounds like something other than 2 defective bulbs that blew at exactly the same time. I would guess that the bulbs were wrong for the application or, more common, they were touched or got something on the glass. Touching the bulb is a very common problem because it's something people have to know ahead of time. These lights give off so much heat that any kind of film on the bulb, even from fingerprints, causes them to self destruct.

Quick Reply: First night with SILVERSTAR headlight