first kawi

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default first kawi

after reading bike reviews till my eyes bled I decided to buy a 2009 klx250s.I wanted a light bike that was liquid cooled.This bike is gonna spend more time in the bush then bigfoot.I have a couple of questions I hope that can be answered here #1,all though the bikes ownership say's it's a 2009 the manufactured date on the frame is 02/08,that leads me to believe that it was made in February 08.could somebody explain?#2,what way is best to break in a new bike?should I treat it like a new born baby or a red headed stepchild?#3 when the bike is idling and I give the throttle a fast twist the bike starves it self of gas and normally stalls.is this normal?this is the first 250 I have owned since I was 16 and the first bike I have ever bought because of offroad potential and not top speed.does this mean I am over the hill?lol

Old 03-10-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the club. #1 Kawi did not make a 2008 KLX250, they did a moderate revision, made it 50 state legal and released it in early 2008 as a 2009 model. #2 I did mine by the book as much as possible with 1/2 throttle and keeping from staying at one rpm for very long. I changed the oil at 100 miles and 600 miles. Opinions vary greatly on break in. #3 it may just be cold, in the summer mine doesn't stall sputter but I ride every day. This winter it needs longer to warm up. #4 I think most will say this 250 is very capable with some mods - over the hill or not.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Howdy/congrats!! Mikey's right. I got a deal on my "07" in March of "08" because the "09"'s were showing up and the dealer wanted to clear out the old ones. I broke mine in close to the factory recomended way. The dealer said for break in, they thought it was more important to vary the rpm's and let the engine heat up and then cool down (everything kind of finds a home after a few cycles). Does the bike die with the throttle twist when it's warm? If so, I think something needs adjusting. Plenty of help on here. Have fun, Dan

Old 03-10-2009, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmadman
after reading bike reviews till my eyes bled I decided to buy a 2009 klx250s.I wanted a light bike that was liquid cooled.This bike is gonna spend more time in the bush then bigfoot.I have a couple of questions I hope that can be answered here #1,all though the bikes ownership say's it's a 2009 the manufactured date on the frame is 02/08,that leads me to believe that it was made in February 08.could somebody explain?#2,what way is best to break in a new bike?should I treat it like a new born baby or a red headed stepchild?#3 when the bike is idling and I give the throttle a fast twist the bike starves it self of gas and normally stalls.is this normal?this is the first 250 I have owned since I was 16 and the first bike I have ever bought because of offroad potential and not top speed.does this mean I am over the hill?lol
Reading backwards, yes......and no.

Bike should not starve itself when even moderately warmed up when you twist the throttle. First 60 seconds or so after start I'll get a stumble but only until the fuel catches up. If it happens warm you might have a problem.

And by the way, welcome to the forum

Old 03-10-2009, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah the bike starves even when warm.I will call the dealer and see what they will do for me.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, and of course the greatest bike ever made. (I have to say that now, its part of my DNA) Just ride the bike, vary the rpm's and have fun. You're bike should not stall ever when you hit the gas. What are the temps out, and what is your elevation where you live? But besides all of that, if you put on an aftermarket pipe and jet the bike I can guarantee it will never bog again.

Last edited by deej; 03-10-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

250 miles?..... change your oil and filter. I waited until 300, and wish I did it at 150.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I got rid of the first oil after 445 miles. Just follow the general guidelines of the book, vary the speed, run it up hard a few times, you'll be OK on the break-in. It shouldn't stall when cranking the throttle, these bikes come very lean from the factory, that may be your issue.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

My 09 now has about 75 miles. It's actually starting to run better than when it was brand new. I'm not sure why but during the first few miles it would hesitate when I gave it gas. This would happen when I was riding it so I can't really comment on a hesitation when it's sitting idle. Over the past 75 miles the bike has actually increased in power and does not hesitate anymore. I can't explain why the bike has more power now than when it was brand new but I'm sure somebody on this forum can...

Anyway, you'll love the bike. Enjoy!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I hate to get off on the wrong foot with you guys but I have always been a honda fan.The reason I bought this bike was because the specs were very close to the old 84 200xl I had(weight,hp and height).I have always liked kawi and when I did some thinking I have owned 1 before.it was 250 ltd belt drive.great little bike.actually being a honda fan got me a free helmet.when I was first looking at my klx I told the dealer that when I bought my cbr 929 the dealer was so cheap that they wouldn't even give a free helmet.he said he would see what he could do.when I went back to buy the klx he said the best he could do was 15% off.I said that's fine he could just order me a red klx instead of the green as I have 3 red and black helmets.that made him spit and sputter.long story short free green and black helmet.glad he didn't call my bluff as I never wanted a red klx.as far as I am concerned green is kawi not red.I let it warm up for 5 minutes to day and the throttel response was better.its only got about 20 miles on it so I will see if it rectifies itself.thanx for all the replies,and please dont hate me because I am a honda fan.

Quick Reply: first kawi