First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Default First impressions

hey guys
I recently acquired an 07 klxs with around 1300k's on it. I was riding a 08 wr250 before this bike and the obvious difference is power. Don't worry though this will be soon fixed when we de-restrict the engine.

The other major difference i noticed is the lack of engine braking with the klx. I don't mean shifting down the gears, but taking the throttle off doesn't really affect the bike a whole lot, unlike the wr which doesn't even require the brakes for most corners.

I doubt there's much a can do about this though, i may be wrong. I guess it will teach me to use the brakes more though. Is it just a matter of getting use to the bike? And if possible is there anything i can do about this?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I know what u mean, i can't wait to get my engine de-restricted in a couple of weeks.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Funny you say that - I rode my buddy's 08 WR the other day for a few hours when my KLX tire popped.
He has exhaust and the power programmer.. Thing felt like a moped! I know I have a 350 now, but it still felt slower than when I had the 250.. I dunno, maybe I'm just remembering wrong, or maybe I was expecting more after hearing all the hype?

Old 03-29-2009, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I could be wrong, but if I remember right, the WR has hotter cams and a higher CR... which would lead to the feeling of more engine "brake".... a higher-performance motor isn't going to hang revs, its going to wind down alot faster, slowing the bike down quicker. I haven't ridden a WR, though I've seen the '08 in action, rode with a guy on one once. The KLX has more than enough engine brake for me, then again, I tend to slow down well in advance of corners. I barely use any brake unless I'm riding in traffic.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

i got my 09 KLX the same time my biddy got his 08 WR... we're both brand new to riding last year... his WR is way faster then the KLX. The thing just pulls away from me. I'm ordering a pipe and going to re-jet in the next couple of weeks when i decide what pipe i want... part of me thinks i should have got the WR.... but then when i think of the $2000 CDN difference in price.... i feel better ... we both suck equally on the trail so power doesn't matter right now! haha

Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Higgs-That's cool, as long as you are out riding having fun with a friend who has equal skills and a similar type of bike. Who knows, maybe you can end up beating him on the trails, get in some extra practice to suprise him. Skills are a good mod and it's cheap. I think my next major mod is losing weight; on me, not the bike.

Last edited by lostnite66; 03-30-2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by higgs
but then when i think of the $2000 CDN difference in price.... i feel better .
Well, after you done buying your pipe, jets, new air filter...and all the free mods. Add up how much cash you have sunk into this turd, then add your time and frustration, trial and error time and effort, plus the "pain and suffering" of wishing you had something else and see if you feel the same way.

That $2000 Canadian will probably be down to at least $1000, if not more. Plus, like I said, your time and all that.

I think the WR would have been the better effort. However, there were a few reasons I didn't get one. 1. was because I found a very low mileage '07 for fairly cheap. Weigh that in with the price of a brand new WR and its nearly twice as much. Plus, the WR's were brand spanking new then. I hate buying anything its first year. It takes a while to work out the bugs and what not and I hate being the test subject.

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-30-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
I hate buying anything its first year. It takes a while to work out the bugs and what not and I hate being the test subject.
Got one of the last 07's built for the AUS market. +1 on that thought. 16 years on this model now. We know all there is about this bike, I like that.

It's already "retro cool" too.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
Well, after you done buying your pipe, jets, new air filter...and all the free mods. Add up how much cash you have sunk into this turd, then add your time and frustration, trial and error time and effort, plus the "pain and suffering" of wishing you had something else and see if you feel the same way.

That $2000 Canadian will probably be down to at least $1000, if not more. Plus, like I said, your time and all that.

meh... It's all preference.

Or you can add:
351 kit - $525
exhaust - $250
jet kit - $50

And totally annihilate the WR in terms of power. The modded '08 WR felt like a slow little moped compared to my KLX as it stands now.. I know that's apples to oranges, but we're talking performance/money.

Not to mention to put the exhaust on the WR he had to get a power programmer to reprogram the ECU.. $$$$

I dunno, I just think the KLX is the better buy all around.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Got one of the last 07's built for the AUS market. +1 on that thought. 16 years on this model now. We know all there is about this bike, I like that.

It's already "retro cool" too.

That's the spirit, always look at the positives! It's like getting a mint condition vintage.

Quick Reply: First impressions