First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First Impressions

Last night I took mine for a short ride to the post office, and on the way stopped at my work place to show a buddy of mine. I have had a bunch of bikes in my life, (dirt and street), and while I was speaking to him about the bike, I referred to my new KLX250s as reminding me of my old Honda MT250 Elsinore and my XL600. I loved both bikes so much, and that was many many years ago. Thinking back to that time, I actuallypreferred the MT250 a little over the XL600. It was so much fun to stand up on the pegs and yank the bars into a long 3rd gear wheelie. That bike felt so balanced, and riding this KLR250s brings back those memories. Now, if I could only get this damn break-in period behind me. I haven't tried to yank the bike into a wheelie yet, but horsepower is definitely not everything. My buddy made this comment to me, "This thing is a toy. I mean you bought this bikefor fun, not for trips." I replied, "I can't think of any other reason to buy a motorcyle other than for fun."

Old 06-22-2008, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PeteNFla

"I can't think of any other reason to buy a motorcyle other than for fun."
Well said....

These bikes are just a perfect blend of everything...I luv mine...

Old 06-22-2008, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

A toy? Hmmm...

I tend to think of a toy as something that entertains without any useful purpose. Ithink of my KLX as more of a Leatherman Tool - something handy and useful. Perhaps not the best tool for any particular job but functional. Need to run to the Circle K for a gallon of milk or down to Lowe's for some screws?. Got it

Want to enjoy the trip there? Take the bike.

If I need to take a trip to the Big Guava or the panhandle I have the Sequoia - air conditioned, Bose stereo, cruise controlled asphalt 747. Took me all of 30 seconds to dismiss rationalizing the purchase of the KLX. Gas milage, dual sport yada yada. Bottom line was it was a fun to ride. If that makes it a toy I'm glad to still be a kid......

Old 06-24-2008, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

got mine saturday, love it so far

Old 06-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Saddlebronze

got mine saturday, love it so far
Welcome to the forums, and a great bike.If you get a chance go to the new members area and introduce yourself and tell us where you ride. You know the routine, likes and dislikes, turn on's and turn offs, for hoedog.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's a short introduction. Never rode as a kid, I'm now 50 and catching up for lost time. In the last two years, I first bought the IT 175, never got it to work right, then moved on to the CR 250, a little big for me and it is an MX bike, then got on the KDX 200, love it, but wanted to try a 4 stroke. Got the CRF 230, loved it but it is felt small for me so I gave it to my kid, he loves it. Wanted to go dual sport, so wound up with the 09 KLX 250. Ride locally in CT and have a little cabin in Vermont and a good friend who is an expert so I ride with him. I have only been riding 2 seasons, but I love it and it gives me something to do outside of ski season. KLX tires seem slippery to me in the woods, but it could be break in or the slimy rocks. Its been wet here this summer. Love the bike.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow, a lot of bikes in a short period of time. Hey order a DOT trackmaster or a Dunlop 606, you will not be disappointed by the off road traction. Again welcome to the forums.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Only started riding in the last 2 seasons. I'm and did not know a lot about bikes, I am a car guy. Got the IT 175, never got it to run right, then got the CR 250, ran good but its an MX bike and a little too much for me. Went on to the KDX 200, great bike, wanted to try 4 stroke so got the CRF 230. CRF great bike, but too small so gave it to my son, he loves it. Wanted to do some dual sport, so got the 09 KLX 250 S. Love the bike so far, not sure about the tires in the woods. Ride in CT and at alittle cabin I have in Vt with a freind who is an expert.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the tire advice. I will be in the woods more than on the street so I think the tires are the first upgrade. Sorry about the duplicate post, still getting used to the forum on the this computer. Yeah, I guess I know a little about bikes now. Would up putting a coil, CDi and rings in that old Yamaha but still can't get it right. I think the carb is shot, but moving on now.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:33 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Xerxes

A toy? Hmmm...

I tend to think of a toy as something that entertains without any useful purpose. Ithink of my KLX as more of a Leatherman Tool - something handy and useful. Perhaps not the best tool for any particular job but functional. Need to run to the Circle K for a gallon of milk or down to Lowe's for some screws?. Got it

Want to enjoy the trip there? Take the bike.

If I need to take a trip to the Big Guava or the panhandle I have the Sequoia - air conditioned, Bose stereo, cruise controlled asphalt 747. Took me all of 30 seconds to dismiss rationalizing the purchase of the KLX. Gas milage, dual sport yada yada. Bottom line was it was a fun to ride. If that makes it a toy I'm glad to still be a kid......
I couldn't agree more nothing wrong with being a kid [8D]

Quick Reply: First Impressions