First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default First Impressions

I see some people asking about the 250s so I thought I'd share my first thousand miles. Stock the bike is a blast to ride like all small dirtbikes, faster and with better suspension than all the older Japanese enduros. I put on the Muzzy exhaust and it really woke the thing up. After enduring the agonizing process of obeying the break-in instructions for about 350 miles, I took it to the desert North of Phoenix and basically just rode it as hard as I wanted. It makes a great desert bike, plenty of power for hillclimbs, soft suspension makes it very comfortable blasting through ditches. This bike is very good on the street, two up I have seen 90mph on level ground. Highway cruising no problem, but it runs out of steam when faced with headwinds and steep hills, you gotta rev it to redline to keep 70 in these conditions. The motor is so smooth that my wife would rather ride on it than our touring bike. I could ride this thinganywhere and keep smiling. A real motorcrosser would have to stiffen up the suspension and you have to clutch it to get wheelies, but forsomeone who wants to commute, ride to the trails and keep riding, explore backcountrycombining roads and trails, you can't do better without spending twice as much on a Husky or KTM, and neither one is as good on the street. I can't wait for a bigger gas tank, I only get 60 mpg and about 110 miles on a tank, not enough for the rides I like to do. No regrets about buying this bike, and when the top end needs work I'll put on the 300 kit.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First Impressions

+1 on everything except the 2 up riding. Some people just have higher hopes for this bike than others, but look at the competition, XT225, TW200, DR200 and yet people say the KLX is a slouch. Now the race bikes gone street legal are a totally different class, yet thats what the KLX gets compared to all the time, doesn't make sense.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Jeff I just realized that you are from WA and that we never gave you a proper welcome. There are so many new guys sneaking in here that its hard to keep up. But maybe someday we will get together for some trail riding. Tahuya over by Silverdal/Bremerton area is a great place to get in some trial fun. Hey you don't know Robbie and Ole do you? If you do, then we have more in common that you think, if you don't know them then....never mind. Anyway welcome to the forums. And have a great time in here.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome! come on down to the Capital Forest, its 10 mins from my house. just enough time to get things warmed up!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

very nice write up, i enjoy mine just have some small bugs but they will get worked out....

Welcome to KF

Old 06-04-2008, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

still think the klx are the best looking bikes out there to all klx owners RIDE ON.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

agreed!

Old 06-21-2008, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Somebody will always slam what you've got. You can please only some of the people some of the time...

Old 06-21-2008, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

i was gonna do the same type topic but figured there is already a ton of them.

but this is also my first bike so i dont have anything to compare it to.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:45 PM

Great write up Jeff!
I love Arizona. I spent 3 months in Flagstaff Last summer do to my wife Breaking her Leg tib/phib compound fracture at Powwel. She was at Flagstaff medical center. The San Francisco mountains are awesome. I was thinking about going up to lake powell and instead of getting the houseboat taking my RV and bikes up for some exploring. With the heat up there its nice to be near water.

Ride on,

WD

Quick Reply: First Impressions