First bike advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Default First bike advice...

Hello all,
Here's a question that I'm sure has been asked before, and will probably be asked again. What's everyone's advice on the KLX as a first bike? I've been looking around since last summer for a suitable bike. I live in the Coast Mountains of British Columbia and am looking for a bike that can handle a 35 km (20 mi) commute on 2-lane highway (80-100 km/h / 50-60mph) as well as blast along logging roads and local not-too-technical trails.

I was leaning towards a bigger 650 like the Suzuki DR for some longer-distance riding, but after looking at things such as manuveurability/weight as well as insurance costs ($500 for the KLX as opposed to $1800 for the DR) I'm thinking that a bike like the KLX might be what I'm looking for as a better "all-around" package...

Let's see...what else? I'm 5' 7" and 150lb. 34 year old novice rider, and not looking for anything super crazy...Just a cool, fun bike that can take me where I want to go! Oh, and opinions on the '09 versus the '07? My local dealer's going to give me a call when their '09s come in so I can check 'em out...

There's definitely some good advice on this forum, so I figured I would throw this post out there and see what happens...

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First bike advice...

klx dual sport is a good first bike imo because they are easy to maneuver and very versatile. if you wanted something bigger check out the versys

Old 03-20-2008, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

oh forgot to mention if you plan to do mostly road with a little non technical trail then the versys is the way to go - if you are going to do mostly trail with a little roadway then the klx

Old 03-20-2008, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I owned a DR650SE and the little KLX is a much funner (is that a word?) bike to ride with the exception of 2-up or long distance touring but even the 650 isn't all that red hot on the hills into the wind.

I think that the KLX250S would make a nearly perfect 1st bike for your riding requirements, I ride my KLX daily (weather permitting) to work (30 miles R/T) and many days I take the long way home to avoid traffic and get some extra time in the saddle.

I have also done several long distance trips on the KLX (600+ miles in one weekend) without any issues and had a great time doing it.
My brother-in-law has a DRZ400 and he's pretty much done-in after about a 100 mile journey.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I owned a DR650SE and the little KLX is a much funner (is that a word?) bike to ride with the exception of 2-up or long distance touring but even the 650 isn't all that red hot on the hills into the wind.

I think that the KLX250S would make a nearly perfect 1st bike for your riding requirements, I ride my KLX daily (weather permitting) to work (30 miles R/T) and many days I take the long way home to avoid traffic and get some extra time in the saddle.

I have also done several long distance trips on the KLX (600+ miles in one weekend) without any issues and had a great time doing it.
My brother-in-law has a DRZ400 and he's pretty much done-in after about a 100 mile journey.
the DRZ is a much better roadbike than the lil KLX simply because it has more power and it's heavier. When geared up for road use, it's hard to beat. The KLX struggles to hold speed against wind and up steeper grades. You can't say the KLX is better than the DRZ in the woods cuz of it's lighter weight and then say the KLX is better on the road than the DRZ because of the same thing. The seats are about the same firmness, so what's your brother in law's issue that he is about to pass out after about 100 miles when he's on the larger, more powerful motorcycle? I am just curious what appears to make you think the KLX is a better commuter than the DRZ, especially on longer commutes or trips. Yeah, I took the bait but I love the DRZ and can't stand to see anyone badmouth it's better traits or sell it short. The KLX is a better beginner bike I'll give it that. Having owned both the KLX and the DRZSM, I can tell you on the two trips I took down to my parent's house which is around 190 miles round trip, the DRZ didn't need to be shifted down at all on steeper hills whereas the KLX would lose speed and needed 5th to pull it up. Also, when meeting semis the KLX would wiggle all over the place, the DRZSM would stay planted. On the road, I would prefer the DRZSM all day, but I would keep it stock geared and not go down like I did (purposely for the fun wheelie factor).

Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Coast Mountain Guy

Hello all,
Here's a question that I'm sure has been asked before, and will probably be asked again. What's everyone's advice on the KLX as a first bike? I've been looking around since last summer for a suitable bike. I live in the Coast Mountains of British Columbia and am looking for a bike that can handle a 35 km (20 mi) commute on 2-lane highway (80-100 km/h / 50-60mph) as well as blast along logging roads and local not-too-technical trails.

I was leaning towards a bigger 650 like the Suzuki DR for some longer-distance riding, but after looking at things such as manuveurability/weight as well as insurance costs ($500 for the KLX as opposed to $1800 for the DR) I'm thinking that a bike like the KLX might be what I'm looking for as a better "all-around" package...

Let's see...what else? I'm 5' 7" and 150lb. 34 year old novice rider, and not looking for anything super crazy...Just a cool, fun bike that can take me where I want to go! Oh, and opinions on the '09 versus the '07? My local dealer's going to give me a call when their '09s come in so I can check 'em out...

There's definitely some good advice on this forum, so I figured I would throw this post out there and see what happens...

Thanks in advance!

Aaron
Sounds like the KLX is for you. It can do 50-60 easy but I dont like doing more than 60 on mine. Those 650s would be alot better on the road but turn into a bastard on the trails. You will need to compromise one or the other.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:59 PM

I just got a KLX as my first bike about a month ago. As a first bike I think its great. I'm 5'10, 160lbs and 30 year old novice so I was pretty much in the same situation you are. It has enough power for me but not so much that i feel like it can get me in trouble. It'll handle a 55-60 mph commute but anything faster than that gets a little uncomfortable. Like others have said it's a light bike and not very aerodynamic so you get blown around alot at high speeds. I had mine up to 75mph today. I wouldn't wait for the 09's. I would try to find a nice used 06 or 07 - you'll save a lot of money and there's a good chance it will already have some mods done. I got my 07 with 1500mi, Tusk handguards, a Utah Sport Cycle skidplate, and 13 tooth sprocket for $3000.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well you all know what I think.

Name:  warningsign2.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  20.5 KB

Name:  party.gif
Views: 13
Size:  6.3 KB

Old 03-21-2008, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I think you would be better off with a DRZ400 If you are going to do mostly road riding with some dirt roads. I never owned a DRZ but I know aFriend thathas one. I would say the DRZ is more street worthy but if you going to get into some tight technical trails then the KLX is the way to go! I'm not taking anything away from the KLX,it will do anything you ask of it but for the type of riding you are going to be doing I think you would be more comfortable on a drz....

Old 03-21-2008, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

the wr250x/r should be on your short list. the extra HP that they are supposed to have over the klx makes it appealing. i'm not in favor of the wr because it's a first year model but i think it should be considered.

Quick Reply: First bike advice...