Finished some Mods today

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Finished some Mods today

Got the KCR system off and ports plugged.

Took the Air box out ( broke the oil drain port off -thanks JB Weld ) cut out the backfire screen and drilled out the crank port. I also lengthened the crankcase breather to the top of the air box. I can see how the small crank breather port on the air box would be restrictive, but if it is drilled out - what is the advantage to running it to the clean air side of the filter? Cooler exhaust, or was that the KCR mod? I read it somewhere but I can't remember.

Installed 13/45 sprockets and chain, had difficulty getting the wheel lined up straight. The brake kept wanting to drag. Finally got the grooves pretty close to the same and no brake scraping.

Got my Kouba screw. Dynojet kit arrives Monday. Hopefully, the jet kit will do the trick. Runs okay after a short warm-up, just acts like it wants more to drink. First 1/4 twist of the throttle doesn't do much.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Member

just wait till you jet it, with all that it should help a fair amount.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you drilled out the airbox crank vent port AND rerouted the crankcase vent to the dirty side of the air box? How did you do both? I am a fan of just dumping crankcase vapors out into the atmosphere in such a way to prevent water ingestion. There looks to be a good way to do this by just plugging off the port on the clean side of the filter and running the vent tube loosey goosey into the snorkel just to passively vent the crank into the filter area where water shouldn't be.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

My method of lining up the rear wheel concentrates on the sprocket.
While sitting behind the bike I look along the top of the rear sprocket, along the chain to the counter sprocket. When I see the rear sprocket teeth lined up in the center of the chain links and straight forward to the counter, I'm happy.
I do look at the spacing of the tire at the front of the swingarm, but my main focus is lining up the sprocket, chain and counter sprocket.
IMO this is the most important area to avoid wear problems or worse with sprocket and chain.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Snail cams. Still the best. Moooooohahahahahahah.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I have done a few mods to the bike. Exhaust, Dynojet here not installed yet waiting on trip to Colorado to jet, sprocket to 13. I did these to help the bike motor along a little better. I knew when I bought the bike it was going to be the slowest bike in my stable. It will NEVER run with my KTM. So knowing this I bought it for the comfort of getting around the trails and being street legal for forest service roads. I wanted to keep my investment down on this bike. I do enjoy the free mods and will do some of them but I won't go overboard because at the end of the day it still is a low performer.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Just to clear this up a bit

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Sounds like you drilled out the airbox crank vent port AND rerouted the crankcase vent to the dirty side of the air box? How did you do both? I am a fan of just dumping crankcase vapors out into the atmosphere in such a way to prevent water ingestion. There looks to be a good way to do this by just plugging off the port on the clean side of the filter and running the vent tube loosey goosey into the snorkel just to passively vent the crank into the filter area where water shouldn't be.
Sorry for the confusion. I only drilled up the port size while I had the air box off, in case someday I (or someone else) want to switch back to the stock crank setup. As of now, I am only vented to the removed snorkel hole and the air box crank port is capped.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You took the air box off? I'm confused.....but then again I'm always confused. LOL

Old 05-17-2010, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
You took the air box off? I'm confused.....but then again I'm always confused. LOL
Yes. Temporarily. When I had the air box off, I split it apart, which allows alot easier access to the backfire screen for the removal of the wire mesh.
Easier to put caps on the ports too.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Backfire screen.......hmmmmm isn't that an important item? LOL

Quick Reply: Finished some Mods today