fan switch mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default fan switch mod

Hello KLXERS

Just wondering if anyone has detailed wiring instructions on how to bypass the thermal fan switch with a toggle switch on a 07KLX250.

Thanx

Old 08-01-2010, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Just wondering why you're looking for this? I have an 07 and even on 90+ degree days I've yet to even have my fan come on, bike doesn't really tend to run hot, especially if you do the free mods to loosen it up and open up the jetting a bit. Just wondering what the advantage is.

Bypassing should be straightforward and simple, just disconnect the thermal switch, put in a toggle, it should only be a 2 wire set up. so it'd be hard to go wrong on it. I recommend either solder and shrink wrap or using quality electrical connectors with plenty of dielectric grease to keep healthy connections.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member

The thermal switch is dead. I had my high temp light come on yesterday in slow traffic.
I would prefer to operate manually, if i know I'm getting into slow traffic i can just flick it on.Another reason i would like to have the switch is so i can easily test it to make sure its working. I found out the hard way the other day that it was not working.

Out of the thermal switch i have one wire i have disconnected that and tested it to ground and the fan works fine. You mentioned 2 wires,is there another existing wire i need to wire in or do i just hook up the toggle switch?

Thank you

Old 08-01-2010, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Just connect wire you grounded (from the temp switch) to one side of the toggle switch, and battery negative (ground) to the other side. That way the fan is still wired through it's relay and protected by the same fuse. OR buy a new or used temp switch

Old 08-02-2010, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Is your fan switch really busted or is the thermal warning light switch out of calibration?? I would check both switches to make sure they actuate according to the specs in the manual.

Fan switch closes 201-212F, resets (opens) at 194-199F
Temp warning switch closes at 225-236F, resets (opens) at 217-223F

I find it hard to believe your coolant temp got that high. Is the fuse blown on the fan circuit? I've ridden my '07 hard on 90+ degree days and the fan doesn't even come on.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

How about instead of bypassing, you add a switch in line so you can turn it on but when off it defaults back tot he sensor? That would be my choice if I was going to do this mod.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh and on over 14,000 miles and 4 and a half years, my fan only came on once. The bike run pretty cool as long as you are moving air through the radiator.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

When I did the dash mod, I got rid of most of the stock idiot lights and added one that indicated when the fan was running.
No way you can hear the fan over the BG system.
It's just a safe guard and gives a visual warning that things are warming up.

Name:  PICT0030.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  74.1 KB

Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Nice mod neil...

+1 on I'm curious why your bike got so hot. unless it was 95deg and climbing a hill in stop and go traffic, I can't see this bike over-heating without being far too lean at an idle. Thermal switch being bad only sounds like the problem that might have exposed a different problem to me.

For wires what rim bender said is correct, I didn't look at the switch on my bike, just assumed it was probably one in, one out for 2 total. If it's using ground, it's just one wire and you dont need to splice anything else it, just attach a toggle and put the back side to ground and it will work. I like Deej's idea though and on the front side of the toggle, I'd still have a wire that goes to a working thermal switch. That way you can either have it turn on with a thermal switch, or use the toggle if you don't want to depend on the thermal switch.

As I said though, I'd explore if there's another reason it's running hotter than it should, or like PunkedE said, see if maybe the light is tripping too early for the fan to come on.

Last edited by jacksonriding7; 08-02-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: credit to punkede's idea
Old 08-02-2010, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jacksonriding7
Nice mod neil...
Part of the reason I did it was to determine whether or not to ditch the fan.
Even though the light only came on once or twice when riding slow, tight single tracks in temps over 30oC (86oF), I decided to keep both the fan and the extra warning light.

Quick Reply: fan switch mod