Exhaust wrap

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Exhaust wrap

Exhaust wrap has several benefits including greater carburetor vacuum which equates to faster throttle response and better overall performance. A side benefit is that it protects those expensive riding pants from the very hot pipe.

Oh, someone here asked about pipe inside diameters of Muzzy, Big Gun, and stock head pipes. I can't speak for the Big Gun since I don't have one to measure, but while I had the Muzzy off wrapping it, I took a measurement with my calipers and it is 1.3 inches at the narrowest spot right at the exhaust port weld. The stock is 1.1 inches there.

GO CANES!!!!

Edit: broken images

Old 06-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Default RE: Exhaust wrap

What kind of wrap is it and where did you get it?

Old 06-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Old 06-15-2006, 07:20 AM

Thanks nobrakes for the pipe size!

Old 06-15-2006, 11:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Exhaust wrap has several benefits including greater carburetor vacuum which equates to faster throttle response and better overall performance. [sm=dontgetit.gif]
A side benefit is that it protects those expensive riding pants from the very hot pipe. [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 06-15-2006, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Exhaust wrap has several benefits including greater carburetor vacuum which equates to faster throttle response and better overall performance.

I'm with Mav on this one ...... where did you get your information on that? I'm having a hard time understanding how holding the heat in on a thumper header pipe can create greater carb vacuum. Can you explain the thought process behind this idea?
I have exhaust wrap on my two stroke pipes for the sole purpose of keeping the noise level down. But this is a new one on me.[sm=interesting.gif]

Old 06-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Simple physics my friends. Exhaust wrap insulates the pipe maintaining hotter, more energetic, exhaust gasses which exit the system faster which in turn results in more air flow at the intake side (what goes out must come in). Does it make a difference? Lot's of folks seem to think so - it is generally sold as a performance product, not only for motorcycles, but for performance cars as well. Google for "exhaust wrap performance" (no quotes) and you will find lots of information.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:17 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like a sales spiel to me ... so my next question is have you noticed any difference Brian?

Old 06-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

A good five horses at least!

I got it for the "side effect" of leg / pants protection though. I seem to notice the heat from the Muzzy a lot more than the stock pipe and didn't want to melt my pants against the pipe or burn my leg. I did that once against the stock pipe and didn't much care for the thought of doing it again.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey I wonder if we could take off the stock exhaust shield and put it on the muzzy or other pipes? I might do that just to maintain protection and the stock look.

Quick Reply: Exhaust wrap