Exhaust power tip

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Send me your stock muffler and the tip. I will make it fit nicely for only a few bucks. Let me know how loud you want it...

I will remove the 15mm restricting existing tail pipe and install the new one.

David

Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

how deep into the can do you go with the new tail pipe.
When I removed the stock tail pipe it was approx 3-4 inches long,
Installed the new one with and I.D. of 25mm.
Better than twice the cross section area, yet with good sound and NOT loud like the aftermarket can.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Wink

Originally Posted by DJFields
how deep into the can do you go with the new tail pipe.
When I removed the stock tail pipe it was approx 3-4 inches long,
Installed the new one with and I.D. of 25mm.
Better than twice the cross section area, yet with good sound and NOT loud like the aftermarket can.
You are real close to what I did. Going to dyno test it against a stock pipe as soon as I get this TM36-68 jetted right. Right now my new tailpipe is 3/4" (20mm) pipe about 4 to 6 inches long. Shorter and its too loud. I don't know what 1" pipe would do.

Going from stock 15mm tail pipe to the 20 mm doubled the area. I think I can feel the difference. My butt has not been calibrated lately...

I also learned drilling the first baffle does nothing to help. It does make the spark arrester ineffective.

David

Old 01-19-2011, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

here is mne during construction a few years back.............

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust power tip-dscf1784.jpg   Exhaust power tip-dscf1786.jpg   Exhaust power tip-dscf1789.jpg   Exhaust power tip-dscf1787.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I would find it hard to believe a simple tail insert could lay claim to power gain like a full exhaust. That's blowing some serious smoke now. There is no way it will improve breathing like a larger diameter aftermarket head pipe can. I bet he has no dyno charts from anything to prove that claim. It's just more bling that might allow a tad more flow, but not aftermarket pipe levels of flow.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Do the math

Both DJFields and I doubled the out let size of the exhaust. We went from ID 15 mm to 20 and 25mm.
Its 30 mm where it comes off the head.

If I have it right,, the KLX300 has a bolt on 15mm ID tip as standard. That power tip replaces it doing the same thing we did. The power tip Looks far better.

I will gladly give up part of a HP for some quiet. I was runninig it in my shop today Its barely louder than stock and my air is still clean, I retained the cat.

I wish I had an aftermarket exhaust to test on the dyno and compare.
David

Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

My intent was to send a PM to David as I knew all the crap this would create. I was unable to attach photo's to a PM. So here we are.
I've had my bike for 5 years now and know what does and does not work for me. I did the mod were talking about. Wanting more I purchased a HMF can, then wanting more got a FMF PB. Ya it worked and I'm sure made a couple HP more than stock.
I just got tired of the extreme noise even with the quiet core. Even my riding buddies said it was LOUD. All the aftermarket pipes are.
So MY choice was to go back to my stock header with modified stock muffler which DOES work very well and provides a noticeable increase over stock, plus the fit is perfect. No I do not have dyno numbers nor will I aspire to get them. The bike runs great and will for a long time.
I'm not at all telling others what to do, what makes more HP, ect, ect.............
Just sharing what works for me with others who can understand.
DJF

Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I never quite figured out why no one can seem to make a decent relatively quiet muffler. I'm not talking putt-putt stock quiet, I'm talking the neighbors don't complain/buddies will ride beside you quiet but some throatiness. And not some fiberglass packed thing, but a decent chambered muffler. They seem to be able to achieve it with cars, why not miniaturize it some. At the Goodguys Show last year the guys at Flowmaster said they were looking at bike stuff.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Give me some time....

Once I get this TM36 jetted, its off to the dyno. Perhaps DJFields will sell me his His HMF. I would include it in the dyno test with the stock muffler that I have.

The cat is a muffler too. I am shooting for street legal. I have more things to try. I would like to have the exit of the muffler the same size as the inlet and the head pipe. (30mm ID) and still be quiet.

David

Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Isn't the main restriction the header?

Quick Reply: Exhaust power tip