Exhaust melted rear signal indicator...FIXED!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Exhaust melted rear signal indicator...FIXED!

Problem Solved...!!!

I chose a Heat Gun, err Big Gun exhaust system and soon found that the plastic signal indicator melts due to the location of the exhaust exit in relation to the right rear turn signal indicator! LOL

Not wanting to install a pair of flush mounted signal indicators, I posted a want ad, then purchased a brand new pair of take-off signal lights from a member here.

A riding buddy of mine owns a fabrication shop so I asked for his help in creating something to prevent the new signal from turning to mush.

He took a piece of aluminum scrap and bent it at a 90 degree bend. It's about 4 inches in length. Then on one end another small piece of aluminum was welded on with a bead on the inside and outside for good measure.

Then I took over. I shaped that end piece into an egg shape almost identical in size to the base of the turn signal indicator stalk. This is in turn sandwiched under the base of the stalk, but on top of the rubber mounting grommet. I purchased a 5mm longer mounting screw at the hardware store around the corner to accommodate the additional thickness of this blast deflector. After a few minutes with a file I was able to get the egg shaped base plate just the right size in order to mount flat against the rubber grommet which sits inside a slight recess molded in the black plastic fender. It would have been much easier to fit if it were not for this slight recess.

Viola'!! The end result is a blast deflector that gets hot, yet it cools rapidly. It is also an eyesore.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

DUDE!!!!!! That's genius, or ingenious...either way, totally awesome!

Old 05-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

uhhhhhhhhh it's just my OCD kicking in but I would have made one for the other side too...LOL

Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks BRILLIANT!!! Any plans for production??? You could sell them to Big Gun and FMF... since they can't get their designs right for the '09+ KLX's.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

That is why I bought the FMF PowerCore 4, slightly shorter and clears the turn signals. The Deflector plate looks good!

Old 05-15-2012, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like a great concept!

Not to seem negative, though, but are those cracks in the outer heel (corner) of the bend on that deflector? Will this cause any problems in the future? Especially with exhaust heat/impingement in that area?

Sorry man, I've been in aviation maintenance for 30+ years and anything that looks like cracked aluminum gets my attention...

Old 05-15-2012, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, who woulda thunk that an exhaust manufacturer would have a final product that would direct the hot stream of exhaust right onto the turn signal?

Very poor in my opinion. Wished I would have known before I purchased.

Anyhow, NO there will be no production run of these shields.

I dont think that the stress marks at the heel of the bend will create any issues down the road. LOL

I am thinking about drilling holes near the base in order to reduce some heat transfer to the base plate of the shield.

Hope this idea helps others with the same problem.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Clean it up and then throw some black high-temp BBQ paint on it and it won't be so noticable.
Great idea!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm all for ingenuity and creative solutions to problems. I think that's the one trait many bikers have, how to fix **** themselves. Personally, I'm glad I just changed my signals out for shorter ones that gives it a cleaner look.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I did think about it being painted/anodized/powder coated black, but didnt want to invest any money into that until I found out if it actually worked.

I also thought about machine finish (the round swirls like on old hot rod firewalls).

I think black would be best in order for it to blend in.

Quick Reply: Exhaust melted rear signal indicator...FIXED!