exhaust getting beat on...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default exhaust getting beat on...

Has anyone had problems with their exhaust getting beat up? After 2 rides, there are plenty of dings from rocks being thrown at it off the tire. I want to make a guard or something, but im wondering if it is just because it is misaligned. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine is missing the rubber bumpers and their holders have since been flattened but that's because of crashing off-road, otherwise it looks good. I'm running a 5.10" K270 that flings lots of crap off the knobbies, but I don't ever remember hearing something hit the muffler...skidplate yes, rear fender yes, my back yes, muffler no. Mine seems to be parallel to the wheel and out of harms way from what the wheel tosses off. My local terrain other than gravel roads which I maybe, don't ride as fast as you thus don't throw crap as hard, is ledges, big, big rocks or dirt forest floor.
You could try applying some leverage to the pipe and bend it out some, just be careful not to go too far.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Mine is missing the rubber bumpers and their holders have since been flattened but that's because of crashing off-road, otherwise it looks good. I'm running a 5.10" K270 that flings lots of crap off the knobbies, but I don't ever remember hearing something hit the muffler...skidplate yes, rear fender yes, my back yes, muffler no. Mine seems to be parallel to the wheel and out of harms way from what the wheel tosses off. My local terrain other than gravel roads which I maybe, don't ride as fast as you thus don't throw crap as hard, is ledges, big, big rocks or dirt forest floor.
You could try applying some leverage to the pipe and bend it out some, just be careful not to go too far.
That's funny. My rubber bumper were gone when I got the bike. Any photos of that 5.10 K270 mounted? My 4.6 is just about gone in 1500 miles. I may get another 500 out of it. Thinking the wider tire will take longer to wear out. Sorry for the hijack.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

5.10 is kinda big on the 250 but fits fine, it's big flat profile slows the handling down and probably saps some power, They work good in the dirt though. can post a pic tomorrow

If you do more street one of the smaller sizes would probably work better, 120/80

have run dozens of k270s on various bikes, good cheap true 50/50 tire. It's just their sizing is hard to figure out. They howl on the road at certain speeds "loud tires save lives" sticker on my 650.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 AM
1st Gear Member

My rubber bumpers were gone when I bought it, but I have been riding fast on loose gravel. I think ill end up bending it out, but I wanted to make sure before I do.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I should take a picture of my exhaust.. It looks like it was the backstop at a target shooting range. hahaha

I just try not to care. It's an off-road bike that I put through hell, I'm not going to win any bike shows.. But mechanically it's 100% and goes like a raped ape - that's all that matters to me!!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
I should take a picture of my exhaust.. It looks like it was the backstop at a target shooting range. hahaha

I just try not to care. It's an off-road bike that I put through hell, I'm not going to win any bike shows.. But mechanically it's 100% and goes like a raped ape - that's all that matters to me!!
Couldn't have said it any better.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I know its not going to stay pretty forever, but I feel like the damage done after two rides is a little excessive. Maybe the bumpers will cure the problem. One way to find out!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

The real cure is to not let it take so many dirt naps...

As far as I can tell, the bumpers just keep the hot pipe from melting the plastic side cover.

The muffler I'm running now is much sturdier than stock. It has taken some good hits... so far, no dents, just scratches.

...and I'm still trying to picture a raped ape, and how fast it might run...

Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow! all the gravel roads I have been on and my Muzzy still looks perfect! Insert OCD comment here...LOL

Quick Reply: exhaust getting beat on...