Everything cuts on start

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Do you lose power only when you hit the starter button?
Here's how I solved my non-starting issue, which was salt water corroding plugs and blowing my main fuse(obviously a little different than your problem).
My process started at the back where I thought the problem was and kept moving forward looking for the issue.
I ended up doing the whole bike on the side of the road. Luckily I had just tossed a pack of 25 20A fuses in the tank bag. I think I used 8 until I solved all the problems. It's also just a good maintenance practice for a bike that lives in a climate with massive temp swings around the dew point.
Make sure your battery leads are tight.
Check the plug connectors at the solenoid.
Clean all your grounds and plugs, making sure they're plugged in completely, before and after inspection.
Dielectric grease all plugs.

Have you tested the battery? It's acting kind of like a bike with a bad battery.

I'm gonna have to start checking everything. Only happens when I hit the starter. Good idea about carrying the extra fuses tho.

Battery is a brand new Earthx lithium battery... cranks like it's on roids.

Might be just the solenoid. Have to start the trouble shooting and see Wtf. ..

Old 03-14-2016, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
Before the bike is running

Battery>Solenoid>Everything else.

The solenoid is the choke point. In this case it's really two relays, one switched by the key, to deliver power to all systems that are not the starter. These would include the coil, lights, gauges and whatnot and the starter. There is a second relay switched by the starter button to deliver power to the starter. I think both relays share a common ground, so this could be it, but I really do not know.

So, yes, it will cause everthing to sut down, dash included. My tail light also flickers.

Once the bike is running power come from the stator>regulator>everything else.

So, as the bike behaves normally when running, and starts normally if you bypass the solenoid I think it's the solenoid.

Try jumping the solenoid by taking a 15mm wrench and touching both screws. My guess is that it cuts out due to faulting in some way. Next try jumping the solenoid by passing a heavy wire directly from the battery + terminal to where the wire from the relay connects to the starter motor. It's easy to do with by connecting a jumper cable to the + terminal and then clamping the other end of the cable to a screwdriver and touching the post with that. You will have to move the little boot atop the starter motor.

My guess is it starts and runs normal.
Any luck with that new solenoid?

Old 03-15-2016, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

It's probably been mentioned already, but I've heard of this happening before when the battery was weak. I see you have a new(er) lithium battery - so in theory this shouldn't be a problem, but maybe it's a bad battery?

Old 03-15-2016, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgmr250
It's probably been mentioned already, but I've heard of this happening before when the battery was weak. I see you have a new(er) lithium battery - so in theory this shouldn't be a problem, but maybe it's a bad battery?
I wish it was that easy! It happened last year with the old battery so I got the new lithium. It's only 2 months old, checks out on charger and cranks like a ****.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
I wish it was that easy! It happened last year with the old battery so I got the new lithium. It's only 2 months old, checks out on charger and cranks like a ****.
I've been working on an 87 FZR1000 - bad transmission, so I replaced the trans internals. After putting it all back together, it would crank but wouldn't start - wouldn't even fire. Battery had 12.8V (a little low, but not seriously so), and would turn over the bike no problem (not a sluggish turnover, but nice and quick), but I was getting no spark. I checked voltage while cranking and it was something like 8 or 9 V while cranking. I boosted the battery with another one and then it started right up, so I replaced the battery. So, all I'm saying is that having sufficient voltage and cranking doesn't mean the battery is up to the task. Lithium batteries are a bit different, and less likely to be a problem. It's just the dash reset really screams low voltage (or maybe a short somewhere.)

Old 03-17-2016, 07:10 PM

Same thing was happening to me the starter sounded weak I got a used relay for $10 and took some sand paper to clean up the ground. Now works every time no problems since.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lferg01
Same thing was happening to me the starter sounded weak I got a used relay for $10 and took some sand paper to clean up the ground. Now works every time no problems since.
You mean a used solenoid or something else? I think a new solenoid might be my next kick at it