engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Default RE: engine oil

Here is an excellent article about the difference between motorcycle/automobile oil. Some people have the opinion that motorcycle oil is a waste of money. Others say it is abosolutely necessary. This article will help you come too your own conclusion Most of the difference is with the clutch pack. I just rode about 10 miles after putting in the Golden Spectro, and I can assure you that it wasn't a waste of money..and it was only $1.00 more per bottle that auto synthetic oil. The bike is shifting smoother than it ever has. http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/

Old 05-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Default RE: engine oil

Yeah. Lately I've been missing a lot of shifts too. One was yesterday in an intersection..not good. That problem seems to be fixed with the oil change.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Excellent choice Kona

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but what is special about the Golden Spectro synthetic vs, say, Mobil1 synthetic? Are the car synthetics too slick? Will they cause clutch slippage on our bikes? Please let me know - I just bought 2 quarts of Mobil1 premium synthetic but I haven't put it in yet, so it's not too late.

Well the main difference is that Mobil One complies to the API standards which the main priority is fuel economy and emissions. The two excellent ingredients for motorcycle engines, phosphoruos and zinc have been virtually eliminated in car oils. Also the car oils are heavy in friction modifiers which may or may not make your clutch slip.
Even in their own website, Mobil does state that due to the increase in the friction modifiers, Mobil One may make motorcycle clutch slip. They also state that their motorcyle oil contains a healthy dose of phosphorous and zinc for wear protection and no friction modifiers to make clutches slip.

Is Mobil One a great oil? Yes. As for viscosity retention, it may be the best on the market. I would gladly use it in my BMW R1150R which has a separate sump for the trans and the engine as well as a dry clutch. Would Mobil One make the clutch slip in the KLX? I don't know. My guess is probably not. But do you want to be the Guinea Pig? I certainly don't want to be the one!

The MA grade premium oils like Golden Spectro gives excellent results without the clutch slippage worry for only a little bit more than the Mobil One, with only a 1.5 qt. capacity, to me it's a no brainer.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I didn't know there were special formulations for motorcycles. I'll save the Mobil1 for my car and pick up something more suitable for the bike.

Thanks,

Old 05-20-2006, 03:54 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I checked, but the local Autozone didn't have the Golden Spectro you mentioned, however, they did have the Mobil 1 MX4T for motorcycles. It specifically mentions that it has "proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch engine/transmission systems":

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...4T_10W-40.aspx

So that's what I got and it's currently in my bike, but I've not started it yet, because I also cleaned my air filter and it has not yet fully dried and I can't yet oil it and reinstall it. I didn't want to risk starting the bike without the air filter installed, so that will have to wait until morning when the filter has fully dried out and I can oil it and get it back in.

Thanks for the information - I'm glad I didn't put in regular Mobil 1 car synthetic. It's probably fine for the engine and transmission, but probably a little too slick for the wet clutch.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey nobrakes, please post and give us your opinion on the Mobil One MX4T. I have been meaning to try it out. Since they sell them at the discount auto parts store, it's cheaper than the usual synthetic motorcycle oil isn't it?
If it is the same basic formula as the regular Mobil One but reformulated for motorcycles and the MA standard, it would be helluva great oil. The amazing viscosity retention of Mobil One combined with motorcycle friendly additives!

Old 05-20-2006, 04:29 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The specs look very good on paper and it meets all the ratings listed in the KLX owners manual. Here is some more info - mostly marketing buzzwords to me but they may mean more to you

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...cycle_Oils.asp

I'll let you know when I try it out if I encounter any problems or improvements.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:02 PM

No each grade of Mobil 1 is the same. Yes, the 10w30, 10W40 and any viscocity where on the label it says "energy conserving" is bad. It has firction modfiers that can cause hte clutch to slip. The 15W50 grade does NOT have friction modifiers and is OK for wet clutches. I'm used it in all of my sportbikes. I also found some Castrol non-synthetic 10W40 that is not energy conserving. Right now I have some Honda GN4. I'm going to use that one more time to ensure the engine is completely broken in, then switch to a Motorcycle full synthetic.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

Right now I have some Honda GN4.

i also have used gn4 a lot previously bc the honda dealer is right up the street and actually have heard it's one of the best non synthetic choices but also the do make semi synthetic and full synthetic

Quick Reply: engine oil