Engine Occassionally Misses - 2007

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:19 AM
Default Engine Occassionally Misses - 2007

Hello:

My 2007 usually runs great. However, occassionally it will develop an increasing tendency to miss while running at higher speeds (50 - 60 mph). At first the missing is so slight you hardly notice it. Then I'll get a 1/10 second miss that I feel. After a few minutes where several of those occur there might several of a second or so, enough so that I lean foward from deceleration. At that point if I slow for a stop light, the bike might stall when it slows to an idle. Starts up again OK. By the time I'm to this point I'm usually home from work and the bike sits overnight and could run fine the next morning. However, on two occasions the problem developed further to what the bike would stall completely causing me to pull over. Usually started again OK after sitting for a few minutes, but one time I couldn't get it to run unless I left the choke out.

No engine nor airbox mods. Running a larger rear sprocket (+1 tooth), 14 tooth front sprocket. 3,000 miles. Oil changed every 1,000, valves adjusted at 800 mi. After the first time it completely stalled, I found the frame mount electrical ground connection was loose. Tightened that and thought the problem had gone away until yesterday when it missed again. Perhaps related to hot days, but not sure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Howard

Old 05-08-2008, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Engine Occassionally Misses - 2007

sounds like a bad ground wire or connector. i believe tremor knows all about this stuff.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Howard70

Hello:

My 2007 usually runs great. However, occassionally it will develop an increasing tendency to miss while running at higher speeds (50 - 60 mph). At first the missing is so slight you hardly notice it. Then I'll get a 1/10 second miss that I feel. After a few minutes where several of those occur there might several of a second or so, enough so that I lean foward from deceleration. At that point if I slow for a stop light, the bike might stall when it slows to an idle. Starts up again OK. By the time I'm to this point I'm usually home from work and the bike sits overnight and could run fine the next morning. However, on two occasions the problem developed further to what the bike would stall completely causing me to pull over. Usually started again OK after sitting for a few minutes, but one time I couldn't get it to run unless I left the choke out.

No engine nor airbox mods. Running a larger rear sprocket (+1 tooth), 14 tooth front sprocket. 3,000 miles. Oil changed every 1,000, valves adjusted at 800 mi. After the first time it completely stalled, I found the frame mount electrical ground connection was loose. Tightened that and thought the problem had gone away until yesterday when it missed again. Perhaps related to hot days, but not sure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Howard
It's pretty hard to give quality help from long distance, but you might want to check for corrosion on both the frame ground and at the battery. Just a stab in the dark.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Then I'll get a 1/10 second miss that I feel.
I've had a "ghost" miss that very rarely happens but when it does it annoys the heck out of me.My bike has never done any of the other things you mentioned ....except the time when my fuel tank vent didn't vent right .....But that was alot more obvious than the Hiccup that i occassionally get now.....I checked all the grounds already.....hmmm...

Old 05-08-2008, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

i've had it stall after running it for about 20 min at 7.5-8k rpms (highway) then getting off the exit it just kinda sputtered and stalled when i came to a stop.. has happened twice so far. starts right up after. Havnt really looked into it, just thought it was gettin kinda worked on the highway and that was its way of telling me to chill out. ha ha

Old 05-08-2008, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Howard70

Hello:

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Howard
Howard,
what's the weather like when it acts up?

Old 05-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Howard, not sure about the miss, but I did have a question for ya. Why did you only o up one tooth in the back, you do know that 1 down in the front is equal to 3 up in the rear right? I can't even imagine a person could tell a difference in just one tooth up in the back. Just curious.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:20 AM
Default Late Replies

Hello A16tony & Deej:

Sorry for the late replies. The last time it missed / stalled badly it was a warm / hot windy day and I'd been pushing the wind for 20 minutes or so. I spent last night going over many of the connections, cleaning them with steel wool, etc. Went for a ride this morning & thought I had it beat - then 15 minutes into a warm head wind & she started to miss. Turned around & rode home with a tailwind & no misses. Was about to turn back into the headwind again to see if that really had anything to do with it - but I picked up a big chunk of wire and the rear went flat. Limped home instead. I don't see what a headwind could have to do with it except the motor works harder pushing the resistance?

The larger rear sprocket was on the bike when I bought it. I'm probably wrong about it being +1, its probably +5 or so. I was too lazy to go count.....

I forgot to mention that I'm running an Acerbis tank, and a local mechanic suggested the hose for the tank vent might have been kinked. After the misses this morning I routed the hose freely. After changing the rear tire tomorrow I'll see if that helped.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Howard

Old 05-10-2008, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Late Replies

Its probably a 47 tooth. Thats the most common rear size that is the smallest for kawasaki on the net. I mean u can get smaller but u gotta do ur research. Well I am off on my 45 mile ride home to my parents house from my apartment so I will message u guys when I get over the skyway bridge with my bike and make it home. I really need a camera mount so I can take ya guys some pics.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Late Replies

Without knowing you true set-up, I would say your a touch lean. Can you do some homework.

Air box: snorkel size, stock, large, or none
Jetting: has it been changed?
Sprocket sizes:

And, a test that works for me. In third gear, cruise and tach up from 7000 to 9000 rpm. So get up to 7000 and hold it for 20-30 seconds. do the same for 8000 and 9000. If the bike starts bucking around, it's too lean. Jet up.

Let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Engine Occassionally Misses - 2007