Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Default Engine Noise

Hello all,

Does anybody have what I think to be engine noise once you run the RPM's up to 6-7K? If you look at the front of the engine just behind the fender, the clutch cable will sort of make the same sound if you tap it against the frame. Now this sound goes away when you ease up on the gas and picks back up when you get on it.

Now this could be the clutch cable vibrating at speed, but wanted to see if anybody else has this issue and has resolved it.

I have 4700 +- on my completely stock 250s

The book says valve check at 7500 and that's when I plan on having it done.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Engine Noise

ORIGINAL: TwoKaw

Hello all,

Does anybody have what I think to be engine noise once you run the RPM's up to 6-7K? If you look at the front of the engine just behind the fender, the clutch cable will sort of make the same sound if you tap it against the frame. Now this sound goes away when you ease up on the gas and picks back up when you get on it.

Now this could be the clutch cable vibrating at speed, but wanted to see if anybody else has this issue and has resolved it.

I have 4700 +- on my completely stock 250s

The book says valve check at 7500 and that's when I plan on having it done.
id gett ha valves done now.. i had mine done at 1200 miles and they needed shimming. made a big diff to in bike performance.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

What does the noise sound like? I have heard a jingling noise sort of like keys bouncing around on the triple clamps...
But it's not that. I still hear the noise to this day, even after 331 upgrade and valve adjustment.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

This little 4 stroke makes so many awful noises I couldn't possibly put my finger on any one of them as being an issue.
Sounds like a cross between a generator and a mower to me.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Funny thing about the valves, I have had them checked 3 times and every time the shop says they are perfect. So what gives? How come some guys are getting them shimmed? Oh and one of the noises I have figured out was the gas cap buzzing, I took it all apart and its the tiny springs making noise, I tried to stretch them but it still makes that sound. But you can bet I will be checking out the clutch cable, I remember I wrapped it with black tape where it goes through that guide in the front of the engine, but maybe my tape has worn off, thanks for the reminder.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-16-2007, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I have noticed a buzzing noise in my instrument cluster. I don't fret about it though. Otherwise, I'm happy with the sounds the bike makes. Nothing unusual that I have noticed.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Next time you're riding and you hear that buzzing noise, push down on the gas cap and see if it goes away.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea my bike has made probably more noises than most...... thats why it has been in the shop for like 10 weeks or so........ and thats why my motor has been torn all the way down, and why i am getttin a whole new top end as we speak......

Old 05-16-2007, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

What does the noise sound like? I have heard a jingling noise sort of like keys bouncing around on the triple clamps...
But it's not that. I still hear the noise to this day, even after 331 upgrade and valve adjustment.
My bike does the same thing....................It makes noise from the front sprocket too....alot!!!!

She makes all kinds of noises, guess it's just normal............I hope.

Dave

Old 05-16-2007, 07:29 PM

Ah!!! Thanks for the input.. Good old black tape....and the whole time I was wondering...."What would MacGyver do?"

I've really wanted to try all of the upgrades but really hate messing with a good thing....IMO

Peace Out!!

Quick Reply: Engine Noise