Earplugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Earplugs

Just went for a 60 mile ride and tried out the earplugs that came with my Alter Ego jacket and lemme tell ya what a difference in ride quality. With the earplugs there is no wind noise, obviously, my ears were happy when I got home, and you can actually hear stuff still. With the plugs in I could still here my dad's Magna horn when he beeped at a rabbit in front of us and he was about 30 feet up the road, we were travelling about 30 mph. From 0-60+ you can hear the tires on the pavement as well as the exhaust/engine. Without the earplugs I could barely hear the exhaust note above 50 from the wind, even wearing my full face helmet. With the earplugs in sitting at idle we could still carry on a conversation over the 250 thumper and the 1100 4 cyl exhaust.

All in all I highly recommend earplugs for road travel.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Default RE: Earplugs

Yup, earplugs only reduce the sound level of all noises, but don't actually eliminate any. I wear them about 50% of the time. IT just depends on what I'm doing and if I fee llike wearing them. I find you can hear subtle engine noises such as induction noise, and valve clatter much more clearly.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:56 AM

I'm a total convert. For anything longer than a 5-10 minute ride, I use plugs.. and I wonder how I rode without them. It's like riding with the windows up, you can still hear most everything, just filters out the LOUD.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I have been riding with ear plugs for years now. I always wear them on the road. However I don't wear them off-road.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I still trying to figure out how to get my blue tooth headset for the blackberry inside my helmet. I'll be on the bike riding slow around town, and the phone rings, and I have to stop, take off the helmet and by that time the call is missed. I'll have to try the headset, but I'll bet it is too tight to get it in there. And I'll just say it for all of you, Deej when your riding it means no phone calls, your supposed to be having fun. I know

Old 06-25-2006, 06:22 PM

Thats a no no Deej, if you talk when your riding your bike you might not be paying any attention (even though you think you are) and you will smash right through an SUV, of course you will be alright considering your on the KLX, but think of the damage you inflict on the SUV, you might cut it right in half, oh the horror.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I still trying to figure out how to get my blue tooth headset for the blackberry inside my helmet. I'll be on the bike riding slow around town, and the phone rings, and I have to stop, take off the helmet and by that time the call is missed. I'll have to try the headset, but I'll bet it is too tight to get it in there. And I'll just say it for all of you, Deej when your riding it means no phone calls, your supposed to be having fun. I know
Aerostich has you covered. Aerostich Link

Old 06-26-2006, 07:00 PM

Isn't that one for open faced helments?

I can't exactly see using one on a bike with all the wind noise and everything.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yea but my blue tooth headset and the Blackberry for that matter was free along with the phone service and unlimited data connection. Free is always good, especially food cause it tastes better.