Durability?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Durability?

My bike is now broken in fully. How durable are these bikes? I'm very hard on my cars/toys, but I am very OCD with maintenance. Are there any parts I should stock up on that are common failures?

Old 05-02-2011, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

whats wrong with your bike, is it a klx 250.... i dunno the bike seems to be cheap all the way around.... if you ride it like a motor cross bike your probably going to be in trouble....

Old 05-02-2011, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLXHunter
whats wrong with your bike, is it a klx 250.... i dunno the bike seems to be cheap all the way around.... if you ride it like a motor cross bike your probably going to be in trouble....

Its a klx250sf. I don't beat the shot out of it but I do ride pretty hard (for me anyway, its my first bike in 12yrs)

Old 05-02-2011, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd call it very durable. Find the thread about how many miles people have on their KLX's. Very high miles on some of the bikes. The KLX is based on a design that has been around for years and years.
I'm very hard on mine at times. It has take some abuse that I'm surprised didn't harm it any worse than it did. Out of all the parts I've broken, none seemed to break because they were cheaply made. If it broke, it was because I crashed hard enough to break it. These bikes, and all dirt bikes, are made with a lot of aluminum and plastic, you smack a tree and parts will break.
The only beef I have with the bike is the cost of replacement parts. Most everything you replace will be OEM, and for this bike that stuff is expensive!! Do everything you can to protect it. Radiator guards, skidplate, barkbusters. Each of your radiators is around $400 !!
Dan

Name:  vlcsnap-2152330.png
Views: 785
Size:  339.8 KB

Old 05-02-2011, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Thirty seconds, or less, after that somersault pic ^^^^ the bike was up and running. The headlight and fender damage was from an earlier altercation with a tree at about 15 mph
I was impressed with the bike that day.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
The only beef I have with the bike is the cost of replacement parts. Most everything you replace will be OEM, and for this bike that stuff is expensive!! Do everything you can to protect it. Radiator guards, skidplate, barkbusters. Each of your radiators is around $400 !!
Dan

Good to know....I know what my next mods are.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayTard
Good to know....I know what my next mods are.
Just remember you have a SF. He has a S. You ride on the road, he rides in the woods.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Malves
Just remember you have a SF. He has a S. You ride on the road, he rides in the woods.

Its 90/10 for me...... the 10% of the time it spends offroad is ridden very gingerly.....

I Still don't like the idea of having 2 $400 radiators hanging off the side of the bike.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLXHunter
Cheap is a relative opinion. Even crap from China can last if you take care of it and dont abuse it. The KLX is not cheap. I'm a fat guy that has 15,000 miles on my bike, and I finally rode it yesterday after sitting for a month, and it cranked right up (because I ran the gas out last time ) I rode it around town, and everything is perfect.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't see anything on this bike that won't last forever if you ride it on the street. Crash damage is the bike's glass jaw. It seems to be an expensive bike to crash.

Quick Reply: Durability?